Where is best place to start?

• I'm looking at upgrading the ETL servers to SQL 2016, upgrading the development environment to VS 2015, and migrating to catalog deployment.

I'm guessing that the migrate to catalog deployment would be the last step, but in terms of the ETL servers and Visual Studio, which  would you do first? upgrade Visual Studio, or upgrade SQL Server?

Is there a consensus?

Thanks,
    Luther

• latkinson - Monday, August 7, 2017 7:17 AM

I'm looking at upgrading the ETL servers to SQL 2016, upgrading the development environment to VS 2015, and migrating to catalog deployment.

I'm guessing that the migrate to catalog deployment would be the last step, but in terms of the ETL servers and Visual Studio, which  would you do first? upgrade Visual Studio, or upgrade SQL Server?

Is there a consensus?

Thanks,
    Luther

Upgrading from which version?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• You can upgrade VS now if you wanted. VS 2015 with SSDT 2016 can deploy to SQL Server 2012+, you just need to ensure you select the right TargetServerVersion in your Project's properties; although you don't mention what version you currently have, so if you have 2008 you can't use SSDT 2016 to deploy, so you'd hjave to continue to use BIDS.

If you are using BIDS still, then the important thing is to make a copy of your existing solution/project and upgrade the copy to 2015. Upgrading a project is a one way process; you can't go back, so it's important to keep a back up.

As for what to upgrade first. Doesn't really matter. You can't do one without the other is the sense of testing (you gain nothing from upgrading to SSDT 2016 and deploying to SQL Server 2012 in the sense of checking if it'll work on SQL server 2016), so they go hand in hand, rather one comes before the other.

Also, if you are upgrading your project, make sure everyone has the latest version of SSDT ready when you do. When we upgraded one of our projects one of the team "didn't receive the email" (aka didn't read the email) to let them know that we were moving from SSDT 2012 to 2016. They spent ages trying to figure out why they couldn't open the project before someone asked them "Why are you using VS 2010?". /facepalm

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• wups! Sorry. SQL Server going from 2014 to 2016, and Visual Studio going from VS13 to VS15.

Thanks.

• Thom A - Monday, August 7, 2017 7:27 AM

Also, if you are upgrading your project, make sure everyone has the latest version of SSDT ready when you do. When we upgraded one of our projects one of the team "didn't receive the email" (aka didn't read the email) to let them know that we were moving from SSDT 2012 to 2016. They spent ages trying to figure out why they couldn't open the project before someone asked them "Why are you using VS 2010?". /facepalm

Haha, those people are everywhere!

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply