Where clause predicate works as expected in SSMS but not in SSRS

• I have a payroll report that needs the addition of two input parameters. One for Associate and one for Position. Both parameters need to handle a choice of 'ALL' or one specific value. So the possible choice combinations would be:

AssociateID&nbsp&nbsp&nbspPosition

ALL&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspALL

123&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspALL

123&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspContractor

ALL&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspEmployee

Where Clause:

WHERE

CASE

WHEN VwPayroll.IntAssociate = @Associate AND @Position = 'ALL' THEN 1

WHEN VwPayroll.IntAssociate = @Associate AND VwPayroll.strDetailsAssociatePosition = @Position THEN 1

WHEN @Associate = '99999' AND VwPayroll.strDetailsAssociatePosition = @Position THEN 1

WHEN VwPayroll.IntAssociate = @Associate THEN 1

WHEN @Associate = '99999' AND @Position = 'ALL' THEN 1

END = 1

Parameter For Associate:

Select '99999' as AssociateID, ' ALL' as AssociateName

UNION ALL

Select Distinct

VwPayroll.IntAssociate As AssociateID

,VwPayroll.strFirstName + ' ' + VwPayroll.strLastName as AssociateName

From VwPayroll

The AssociateID is the parameter query value and the Name is the parameter label. Note that Associate 99999 equates to 'ALL' in the Where clause.

Returns:

AssociateID Name

99999&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspALL

123&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspAlice Johnson

456&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspSteve Smith

789&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspRachel Edwards

Parameter For Position:

Select

' ALL' as Position

UNION ALL

Select Distinct

VwPayroll.strDetailsAssociatePosition As Position

From VwPayroll

Returns:

Position

ALL

Contractor

Employee

My query returns the expected result in SSMS and in query designer (data tab) in SSRS with every possible combination but when I preview the report in SSRS I do not get the expected result when I select 'ALL' and 'ALL' on my two parameters. It returns and empty result set.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Not 10 seconds after I posted this I spotted the problem. If you notice there is a space after the single quote in the Position parameter before the word ' ALL'. I noticed this because of the contrast of red against white in the html code when I opened my posting to view it.

I suppose the lesson is: view all your code in SSMS because SSRS does not color format the keywords in the query designer making it more difficult to spot this kind of time-lost, meat-head mistake.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply