Where are you?

• Ray K (2/4/2011)

Getting quiet here again. Let's toss out another geography-related topic here . . .

Hypothetical: you just won an all-expenses-paid trip to anywhere in the world. Where do you go?

Well, I would like to make a thorough exploration of Europe (back to all my old haunts and find some new ones) but the stated ground rules won't let me go anywhere in Spain or the UK so I can only go to 44 of the 48 European countries. I would want to spend enough time in each country to see the interesting bits - no awful guided-tour-like 15 minutes to explore a large city nonsense.

I guess I could start with Iceland, then Ireland (only the Republic, not the NE corner of the island, because of the ground rules), and then Portugal, to get the awkwardly isolated ones out of the way. Then visit the rest in a sensible travel order: Andorra; France (including Corsica, which is a bit out of natural travel order but never mind, and taking in Monaco in passing); Luxembourg; Belgium; The Netherlands; Denmark (excluding Greenland, which is not geographically part of Europe); Norway; Sweden; Finland; Russia (excluding Kaliningrad, and only the European bits, not the Asian bits); Estonia; Latvia; Lithuania (taking in Kaliningrad in passing); Belarus; Ukraine; Moldova; Romania; Bulgaria; Turkey; both parts of Cyprus; Greece (including Crete); Macedonia; Albania; Kosovo; Bosnia; Serbia; Croatia; Slovenia; Hungary; Slovakia; Poland;Czech Republic; Germany; Austria; Liechtenstein; Switzerland; Italy (including Sardegna and Sicily, and taking in both San Marino and the Vatican City in passing); and Malta (although I might give that one a miss, it appears to have turned into a somewhat nasty place).

Of course such a trip might take quite a long time, and timing would have to be organised not to be anywhere cold in the winter (quite difficult, given the geography).

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (1/20/2011)

Ray K (1/19/2011)

Thread's getting quiet again!

How's the weather where you are?

Days are sunny but short. Temperature about 14C (57F) at 7am and the same late evening, rising to between 20C(68F) and 25F(77F) during the day. Occassional light showers (1 per week or thereabouts). (Now is the coldest time of year, and this is the kind of weather that causes most sunburn - the tourists don't realise how much radiation there is, unlike at other times of year).

It got colder - the news today has it that the te,mperatures in the Canaries over the last 5 days were unprecednted, never have such numbers been seen below. But the cold spell seems to have broken now, it was warm this afternoon.

Tom

• Australia pre-gun ban...

I will leave it at that 🙂

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• An Antartican Penguin Safari (in summer, too damned cold in general).

Why? Because it's just funny.

"What'd you do over summer?"

"Penguin Hunt. Check the trophy wall."

"Dude, look at the beak on that one! It must have been feroucious"

"... Um... yeah." *mumbling* Dumbass....

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Cleveland, Ohio....Ohio.....Ohio.... (think Drew Carey)

• Ack! Pushed to the second page!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• I live in St. Louis Park Minnesooooota. I am originally from Southern Calfornia.

• Originally born in Swindon UK, move to germany, Ireland then came to America and have been living in the silicon valley since... I'm a 44 year old 'female' DBA and the weather is lovely!!

• Rich Yarger (3/9/2011)

I live in St. Louis Park Minnesooooota. I am originally from Southern Calfornia.

I've eaten at the Panera there.......

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• John Rowan (3/9/2011)

Rich Yarger (3/9/2011)

I live in St. Louis Park Minnesooooota. I am originally from Southern Calfornia.

If you enjoy baked goods (breads, muffins, pastries, etc...), and are in the neighborhood again, go to Breadsmith in Minnetonka or Edina.

http://www.breadsmithmn.com/

• Rich Yarger (3/9/2011)

John Rowan (3/9/2011)

Rich Yarger (3/9/2011)

If you enjoy baked goods (breads, muffins, pastries, etc...), and are in the neighborhood again, go to Breadsmith in Minnetonka or Edina.

http://www.breadsmithmn.com/

Looks great! I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the area(s). I get up through MN often on business.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

Viewing 11 posts - 481 through 490 (of 490 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply