Where are error codes

• can't seem to find a listing of SS Error Codes.  can anyone provide a link?

Cheers,

david russell

• If you are looking for info about errors in Event log, or for errors from SQL Server 2005, this site is very handy:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/ee_advanced.aspx

If you are looking for SQL Server 2000 error codes, BOL has them, or here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/sqlserver2000.asp

Or, just google it.  I often have quick information and resolution by just googling like [ "sql server" error 1002 ].

Hope this helps

Mark

• I had tried all those places... and of course, google web and groups.  not finding anything here.  I retried since you were kind enough to provide the links; but, no, this did not help.

Cheers,

david russell

• Although I know that it is becoming a mortal sin to do a SELECT on sys tables ... Is this what you are looking for?:

select * from master.sysmessages

Have a good day,

Norene Malaney

• that may have been a 2000 table; but it doesn't appear to exist in 2005, and this is a 2005 forum.  It was worth a try.  Thanks!

What I want is a place to look up SQL Server 2005 error messages.  I don't want to be captive to MS to give them a specific number and have them tell me what that particular message means, or for them to debug my problems.  I want to be able to decode the numbers into some sort of meaningful message when errors are reported.  Right now it's a c**p shoot!

Cheers,

david russell

• Lookup "Resolving System Error Messages"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/trblsql/tr_reslsyserr_1_6gxh.asp

There is no link on that page that brings you to the error codes but if you expand this topic on the table of contents bar, there your are.

• This is certainly a good start.  The two error messages I have are not listed; but this is a worthwhile URL to bookmark.  Thank you very much.

Cheers,

david russell

• As much as I appreciate this post (and I stand by my thanks for the links), these error messages are actually SS 2000, NOT 2005.  I have messages that we cannot find the definition of anywhere.  Apparently we are unique in needing this help because it just does not appear to be coming from Microsoft.  I don't want to alienate people who are kind enough to post; but there seems to be only a certain level of things that people are willing to respond to... and Microsoft does not pick up the slack.  I would be ASHAMED to be part of a product team that did as poorly as Microsoft does on most of their new products.  ASHAMED!  Who did I have left to alienate?  Microsoft claims that they have employees who browse these forums and answer questions.  They sure aren't doing their job.

Cheers,

david russell

• David Russel's complain prompted me to ask our MS Consultant who gave me a link to the centralized "Events And Errors Message Center".

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/ee_advanced.aspx

Good luck!

• Thank you very much Gerhard.  That is the same link that Mark Harr gave me the first day after my post; but the two error messages we were tracking were not there.  So this link does appear to be the official source of messages for the product... apparently not yet complete.  We've changed the design of our triggers and tackled the problem from the Sybase side, so we no longer have a need - until the next time.

I do appreciate your response though... sincerely, thank you for your help.

Cheers,

david russell

•  Although I know that it is becoming a mortal sin to do a SELECT on sys tables  ... Is this what you are looking for?:

select * from master.sysmessages

In SQL 2005 it should be " SELECT * FROM sys.messages". Not sure if that's the result what David is looking for, but it works for me.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply