Where am I at in my SQL DBA Career?

• I have been a SQL DBA for 3 yours now.. I do not have a degree or any certifications (But I am working on getting both).. But I am doing well supporting two production system 24/7 (1 TB ea.) and a bunch of smaller databases...

But where do I fall in the Jr. DBA / DBA / Sr. DBA scale?

• I think Jr.DBA

M&M

• itpcpro (5/26/2011)

I have been a SQL DBA for 3 yours now.. I do not have a degree or any certifications (But I am working on getting both).. But I am doing well supporting two production system 24/7 (1 TB ea.) and a bunch of smaller databases...

But where do I fall in the Jr. DBA / DBA / Sr. DBA scale?

Might be a little over junior.

What are your responsibilities? What task have you completed. What do you have experience in?

• What are your responsibilities? What task have you completed. What do you have experience in?

I am the only DBA for the Company so I have to correct what ever breaks. I install, backup, restore, create SSIS packages, troubleshoot, run performance monitors, run sql traces and what ever else happens to come along...

I have 11 years experience in the IT field starting out in Helpdesk and working my way up to SQL DBA... I have a little programming experience as well...

• have you faced any critical issues, such as corrupted databases or mission critical transactional databases that need PIT restoring?

do you have any experince in mirroring, clustering etc.,.?

• steveb. (5/26/2011)

have you faced any critical issues, such as corrupted databases or mission critical transactional databases that need PIT restoring?

No nothing critical.. no corrupted databases or PIT restores...

I do have a one replication server that I support... But no Log files shipping or mirroring... Most of our server (the big ones) are on our SAN...

• itpcpro (5/26/2011)

steveb. (5/26/2011)

have you faced any critical issues, such as corrupted databases or mission critical transactional databases that need PIT restoring?

I do have a one replication server that I support... But no Log files shipping or mirroring... Most of our server (the big ones) are on our SAN...

I've never done any of those things (except PIT), which you can learn in 2 minutes with the GUI. The real experience in my life has been to solve many small issues and become an encyclopedia of some sort that and expert perf tuner.

The real point is that you need to match your skills to a job you can really, and eventually excel at after a few months in (so the new job should have challenges). Nobody is an expert at everything sql server and it'll never happen so don't go down that route.

• itpcpro (5/26/2011)

steveb. (5/26/2011)

If are interested in climbing the ladder to a SNR position then I would recommened testing out some restore scenarios (in a seperate testing enviroment no way connected to your production system) where you have to restore a corrupted database, and do a PIT restore. Because you don't want to be looking up BOL / Google when the time comes and everyone is looking at the SNR dba to sort out the issues quickly. Paul Randal has some excellent material on his blog around this;

http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/category/Disaster-Recovery.aspx"> http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/category/Disaster-Recovery.aspx

• Ninja's_RGR'us (5/26/2011)

itpcpro (5/26/2011)

steveb. (5/26/2011)

I've never done any of those things (except PIT), which you can learn in 2 minutes with the GUI. The real experience in my life has been to solve many small issues and become an encyclopedia of some sort that and expert perf tuner.

The real point is that you need to match your skills to a job you can really, and eventually excel at after a few months in (so the new job should have challenges). Nobody is an expert at everything sql server and it'll never happen so don't go down that route.

yes it does really depend on the Job and the company you work for, dealing corrupted databases is something in my experience that the SNR dba should know as this is what the JNR dbas would escalate. It is of course very very rare but it is good to be prepared.

I also agree that no one is an expert at everything..

• I am currently reading SQL Server 2005 Unleashed from cover to cover to get a full understanding of everything that could happen with the sql server and to see were I need to focus more.. I just read the backup and restore chapter that talks about PIT restores... I feel like I am more of a DBA then a Jr. DBA but I know I have so much more to learn.. Being in a shop without a Sr. DBA to learn from I feel that I am not learn the important skills first to be better down the road...

• itpcpro (5/26/2011)

I am currently reading SQL Server 2005 Unleashed from cover to cover to get a full understanding of everything that could happen with the sql server and to see were I need to focus more.. I just read the backup and restore chapter that talks about PIT restores... I feel like I am more of a DBA then a Jr. DBA but I know I have so much more to learn.. Being in a shop without a Sr. DBA to learn from I feel that I am not learn the important skills first to be better down the road...

That's how I got here... 😉

• I personally would label you as a II, but an unexperienced one mostly because you've only dealt with very few servers simultaneously and only one company. You're competent enough to be let loose without someone watching over your shoulder in a system, which is one of my primary considerations when deciding between junior and mid.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (5/26/2011)

I personally would label you as a II, but an unexperienced one mostly because you've only dealt with very few servers simultaneously and only one company. You're competent enough to be let loose without someone watching over your shoulder in a system, which is one of my primary considerations when deciding between junior and mid.

So would I be a level 1 or II in your eyes? :hehe:

• Ninja's_RGR'us (5/26/2011)

Craig Farrell (5/26/2011)

I personally would label you as a II, but an unexperienced one mostly because you've only dealt with very few servers simultaneously and only one company. You're competent enough to be let loose without someone watching over your shoulder in a system, which is one of my primary considerations when deciding between junior and mid.

So would I be a level 1 or II in your eyes? :hehe:

Same place I am, experienced II. :w00t:

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Soudns good... never been in a shop with 100s of servers, 1000s of dbs or 1+TB so level 2 sounds reasonable. I would never compare myself to a Paul Randal or the likes and put the same level III on my resume.

Now that wouldn't stop me from applying!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply