When You're Out of the Office

• I will always recommend this book. Written by Orson Scott Card, it's called "Ender's Game". This book, for me, was an instant classic. I have easily read it 10 times in the past 15 years.

As for movie recommendations... I agree with an earlier poster, "Stranger Than Fiction" is fantastic.

I, on the other hand, will not be reading anything over the holidays, but planned on watching "Balls of Fury" and "Hot Rod"!

Happy Holidays!

Mr. Penny

• Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum stories (One for the Money, Two for the Dough, etc.) are laugh out loud funny. Light reading. Great escapism.

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman is one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read. The story revolves around a Hmong child who has epilepsy and the clash between western medicine and Hmong culture. People on both sides of the story gave this book high praise.

Elling is movie about a friendship between two marginally functional men. It's very different.

A Good Woman is based on Mrs Windemere's Fan by Oscar Wilde. It's one of the very few movies that actually is better than the original.

• 'The Bourne Ultimatum' was an excellent addition to the series of movies, and believe it or not the books are much better than the movies. It's a win-win to read the books AND watch the movies, and the books and the movies don't really coincide after the first movie. If you liked the movies, then pick up the books they give you a whole new adventure with Jason Bourne, and the movies and books really do compliment each other.

'Life Free or Die Hard' was an excellent movie, I had lowered my expectations when I heard it came out, and I was greatfully surprised that they could come up with so much action! It's a must see if you liked any of the first 3.

Happy Holidays everyone!

James

~ Without obstacles, you cannot progress ~
    http://sqln.blogspot.com/

• Reading for me is to get as far away from IT as possible but still read about something interesting. Currently reading The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote and am into the second volume. Some might find war history strange but it is a welcome distraction for me and Shelby has written a number of great texts.

Movie from 2007 - My wife and I both got a real kick out of Night at the Museum. Do not ask me why, but we both thought it was wonderful.

From the recent past we both just loved Madagascar with the penguins. Just wonderful.

Lastly, if I am down and need a real laugh, I have the DVD Of Slapshot and will watch any of Hansen Brothers sequences. I could not keep a straight face watching this if I had to.

And as many have said before - Merry Christmas!:):):)

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• James said: "Bad movies I liked:

Meet Joe Black. I know this one was panned bigtime, but I liked it. It probably made some lists as one of the worst movies ever. The acting was really bad...I just can't explain why I liked it. Maybe it had something to do with Clarie Forlani!"

Falls under the heading of "Guilty Pleasures". Everyone has to have a few.

Don't know how it was rated or received but I love The Fifth Element. It's one of those love-it-or-hate-it films. Chris Tucker as gender blending Ruby Rodd was a hoot.

• Thanks for the suggestions and I'll second the Stephanie Plum series mentioned above. They're hilarious, even laugh out loud in places.

I actually watched some of Night at the Museum today with my daughter. That's a great movie for all ages as well.

• Book - Treason by Orson Scott Card.

I am on my third copy and the cover is falling off this one. Yes I have read it that many times. And I wish I still had my copy from when the name was A Planet Called Treason.

Several families have been sent to this planet as punishment for revolting against the government. The planet has no iron deposits and the families cannot leave until they accrue enough iron. Each family has a transmitter that they can put something into and if the government feels it is worthwile enough, they send back some iron. Each of the families has adapted to the planet after generations and have 'mutated'. The main character is from a family that can grow extra body parts. They are 'harvested' and sent back for iron. The oldest son becomes a defective (out of control growths) and the basis of the book is what happens to him. The interesting part for me is matching each families 'profession' before the punishment with what 'ability' they have now.

-SQLBill

• I watched Stardust a couple weeks back. Brilliant movie. I must get the DVD. Haven't watched any of the Borne movies, but I do intend to.

At the moment I'm reading The 'Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone' series by Greg Keys. Very, very good. I just finished rereading the 'Fionavar Tapestry' series by Guy Gavriel Kay. Old, but so good. I have the third book Of Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series waiting to be read. Also a very good series, and I'll also recommend the Dresden files books that he wrote.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hmmm... The Fionavar Tapestry. It's been a while since I read that trilogy, I'll have to get it back out. Yes, it is very good.

• Here is an oldie, and the start of all "End of Days" genre.

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

Read enjoy.

CodeOn 😛

• I've become a big fan of the Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson add-on books to the Dune Series. The House series and the Machine Wars were both very well done, and are quite good.

On the lighter fare, my wife recently passed on her addiction to "I spy" kind of games (find hidden things, etc...). There's an outift churning them out daily, so it's been fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I've read the Ender series, which is good, as well as the Foundation and Dune series a long time ago. Never any of the add-ons, but I might check them out.

Since so many people recommended Stardust, my wife wants to check it out, so it's on the Blockbuster list to come sometime. We did watch The Bourne Ultimatum, very action packed, not a great story. I started Live Free or Die Hard, but haven't gotten more than 15 minutes in. Maybe tonight 🙂

• Book: "No Compromise" - Biography of the Life of Keith Green - http://www.amazon.com/No-Compromise-Story-Keith-Green/dp/0736903194

Movies: Just watched for the first time the classics of "Moby Dick" and "Fiddler on the roof". Sad that I have waited as long as I have to watch these as they are wonderful! Definitely recommend.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Wow, watched a movie over the weekend I got for Xmas, "The Virgin Spring", starring Max Von Sydow. Very powerful - I will be buying more of this great director's movies. Black & white - in Swedish with sub-titles.

From wikipedia:

The Virgin Spring (Swedish: Jungfrukällan) is a 1960 Swedish film directed by Ingmar Bergman. Set in medieval Sweden, it is a revenge tale about a father's merciless response to the murder of his daughter. According to the film introduction, the story is based on a 13th century Swedish ballad that was adapted by screenwriter Ulla Isaksson.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply