When Will You Upgrade to SQL Server 2012?

• We are currently on SQLServer 2008R2 and it is working nicely. Probably will not change for awhile due to:

Waiting until SP1 comes along, waiting until our vendor app is approved for upgrade, we are a small shop and see no big benefit from upgrading, I'm the only DBA and have enough work to do already, plus I have to justify the upgrade in the budget in some future year.

Other than that I'm all for upgrading. 🙂

• We are itching to upgrade our critical production servers to SQL 2012 to take advantage of AlwaysOn Availability Groups for HA/DR. At the moment we use Windows clustering for HA and db mirroring for DR, and have resorted to an in-house solution for keeping server-level settings in sync between prod and DR. The new SQL 2012 features seem a perfect fit for us.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Becuase of the new licensing structure for 2012 compared to 2008, where one license per processor was required to now needing 1 license per core then an upgrade to MS SQL Server 2012 isn't on the cards

We are looking for an alternative at the moment...

• We have Sql 2008 and the operations we are doing right now can also be done with SQL 2005. I am sure Microsoft will come up with SQL 2014 in couple of years. if our company grows and needs all those advanced features, we will look at it.

• The simple solution to the licensing issue was to get 2008 for proc with SA, then you could upgrade to 2012 at no charge and stay on per proc licensing.

• What I heard is that when you have SA and 2008 CPU licenses, MS will convert that to how many cores you have installed, if you have a total of 2, 4 core CPU's, you will get 8 core licenses with 2012 in SA.

Correct me if I am wrong but I would upgrade my servers to as many cores as the socket count would allow to get as many cores as you need.

This is the same licensing model as Oracle and Sybase ASE.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply