when a databases was last used

• I have a question on how programatically to determine when the database was last used/accessed. I have an old test server and there are huge amount of databases no longer in use that I would like to clean up.

Thanks a lot.

mj

• There is no way you can tell this unless you constantly running profiler/trace...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Thanks a lot, but I cannot run the Profiler 24/7.

What about for some work around?

This is what I currently do for Oracle - I have an after logon trigger that checkes and inserts/updates a record per each login for the users that is not in my list. This way I could pull a report to show me who was loggin and when. For DB2 (Unix only) I check the time stamp on the log file and again, I get what I need.

Can I find such a work aroung for SQL server?

Are the loggins logged somewhere in the data dictionary?

What about on the OS level?

Thanks again, mj

• of course you can. create lite-weight sql side trace...it will have very minimal impact on your system

• Hi, I have the same issue here to a degree. I review the dates the db's were created and use my knowledge of on going projects to try and determine if a db is in use. I send out a monthly email asking for feedback etc and the response is usually poor and from the same people. So.... if I don't think a db is been actively used, I back it up and detach it and if someone shouts I re-attach. After another period I delete the detached db's. So far no one has broke me chops over this approach. Other than that as perviously stated, a lite-weight profiler. Rgds Derek

• Well there is a way of course to figure it all out!  Detaach all the databases and then reattach when someone screams. 

Although a server side trace is most likely a more acceptable solution.... There is very little overhead on a server side trace, and on a test/dev server it would not concern me at all to have one running all the time to figure this out.

I had one running in production that logged all the stored procedures being used for 6 weeks with zero noticeable performance issues.  Use a script to start it so you don't have to have the client running at all times, as I have seen it cause problems.

• You can set them to auto-close if you think they aren't being used and then if they get accessed, the log will reflect it opening. Don't do this for systems that you are sure are working.

• Actually Steve that is a very good idea for a test environment as you can take a performance hit during the opening the database etc. Thanks Derek

• You can you same DDL Triggers in SQL server 2005 as you were using in Oracle

• Thanks a lot for the ideas, guys.

Any help on what exactly I need to select in the light trace for log on?

Thanks again, mj

• Choose an event to use this code. For example, Form_load or SaveButton_click. It will create a file in the specified place to tell you when the program was opened or closed. (Make the necessary changes to have the required results.

Dim timedate As Date = Now

My.Computer.FileSystem.WriteAllText("C:\Log.txt", vbCrLf & " The program was opened at :  " & timedate, True)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply