What's Your Title?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/18/2011)

sscreptock (11/18/2011)

When asked by RedGate: DBA/Astronaut

Best of luck on that!

Any way you guys can include QUEBEC in Canada. I promise, I don't give a rats behind if the contest is NOT translated to french.

I further promise NOT to sue you if I win! :w00t:

• When asked my most people, I respond that I raise goats. And, truth be told, the best part of my day is usually the time I spend outdoors, checking on or working with the herd. Really, my wife and I raise "meat" goats for slaughter. This puts a whole different interpretation on the question "How are your kids?" 🙂

For those who know I work with computers, the answer is usually "programmer." Although, here at the MHMR, the entire IT department is four workers and the CIO, programming is only a part of my duties. On a given day, I could be replacing a power supply in a desktop, fixing bugs, running Ethernet cable or administering one of the databases, as well as developing new programs.

• richj-826679 (11/18/2011)

...In non-IT crowds, I'm a "Computer Geek". And then I usually have to fix someone's PC.

Maybe I should try using the GPD moniker... 😉

Rich

yes, pity doctors who can't go to a party without people describing their aches and pains.

While I like my work, I don't like to define myself by my job outside of work. I'll usually throw out 'work with computers' or 'administer databases' outside of business environments. Then I try get on to what I really do as a person.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• richj-826679 (11/18/2011) In non-IT crowds, I'm a "Computer Geek". And then I usually have to fix someone's PC.

This!

And when I have a somewhat technical person, I'll amend 'Computer Geek' as 'Server Geek.' Since my official title is 'Professional Technologist' and this title is used by everyone from the front line telephone folks on the Help Desk to the Assistant Directors, the official titles tend not to be used around here much. (Although I do so love the title 'Accidental DBA', I've often appended that to my 'Server Geek' title.)

• I learned long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away to NEVER EVER tell people "I work on computers" unless I want to be asked to work on THEIR computer. 😉

Mostly I just say I'm a "web developer" even though that's just the company I work for. If they say they need web work...great: a possible new customer and I give them a business card. Otherwise the response is generally, "Oh, cool," or a blank stare.

My actual title is "Director, Database Administration & Development" though my specific duties include mostly T-SQL development. My DBA duties are mostly limited to making sure our web hosts are doing THEIR DBA duties adequately.

• In IT settings, I'm a DBA.

Outside of work, I say I work with databases. That usually heads off any questions about what's wrong with someone's computer.

Another uncomfortable question for me is where I work. Because I work for state government in a tax collecting agency and most people assume it's the IRS when they hear "Revenue".

Greg

• What title I use really does depend upon who is asking the question.

If I am marketing, then I am the CEO.

If I am trying to acquire work for myself, then I am a Principal Consultant.

For people who understand IT, I say that I am just a DBA. Then they get wide eyed and ask me if I can read minds.

• I usually say database developer if the question is from an non-IT person. If they are tech saavy at all then I say BI developer/ETL developer/Reporting and some DBA work. Like others mentioned, I too have avoided saying that I am a computer programmer or in IT because it turns into, "Can you fix my computer?" Even when you start back-peddaling and stating that you aren't a PC repair tech and that you can point them towards some good websites and/or books, they always remember you as the computer guy who can fix things.

• I'm CSO (Chief Servant Officer).

:{>

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• My official title is Programmer/Analyst III

What I do is programming, analysis, DBA, webmaster, etc, etc, etc.

So what I really am is the system's b****!

What I tell non technical people: computer programmer or a computer guy

Last person I told that too asked if I could jail break her iphone...

• steven.girard (11/18/2011)

It all depends who is asking.

Like Steven says, it depends. My business card at my current employer is the first one to even come close: IT Consultant III.... so I tell inquiring folks that "I work for the County". And if they ask Doing what... then I could say:

Server Administrator

Access database designer/programmer/troubleshooter

VB.NET wanna be

VB6 programmer

SQL / Oracle support administrator

Crystal Reports designer/support engineer

In another life I was consulting with a descriptive title: 'Technical Consultant' on my business card, mainly because it did not limit me to any particular type of work. Those were the days....:cool:

• I like mine just the way it is => Hey you > sorry not my job! 😀

• abatej (11/18/2011)

What I tell non technical people: computer programmer or a computer guy

Last person I told that too asked if I could jail break her iphone...

I love that...

Me: "I work with computers"

Them: "Cool, can you hack into my bank and get them to resend my password I lost?"

Me, with that baffled look on my face: "wut?"

So tired of being free tech support... I just tell people I'm the janitor.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Wow, all these great titles - and all I am is simply the fireman. Well, at least that is all I every seem to to is put out fires.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• For most of my career, I worked in IT for a bank. When asked by outsider's what I did, I replied that I worked for a bank. Everyone assumes you're a teller and no one asks for help with their PC.

Cindy

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply