What's Your Downtime?

• Downtime? I'd check with the dba but he's busy rebooting the server.

• Jeff Moden (4/15/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/15/2016)

I'd hope a cloud provider wouldn't have this happen and would have plans for multiple redundancies and the ability to move systems elsewhere. However it could go either way.

And, yet, they have "downtime".

And wasn't it just a little over a year ago when some major provider had something like more than a week of downtime?

If the data is local, you at least have a chance of surviving something like that even if you have to stand up something temporary. If it's under someone else's umbrella, you're pretty much toast in such a situation. Providers on the cloud need to make things a whole lot more reliable and secure before I succumb to the draw.

Perhaps. I don't think anyone has had a week of downtime. They have spotty outages, though it seems AWS ans Azure (maybe Google as well) are getting much better and learning more. They don't have global outages anymore, at least none I've seen.

However the bigger issue is that they seem to have small failures regularly, meaning that your machine (and workload) might "pause" for a minute or two while it fails over.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/18/2016)

Jeff Moden (4/15/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/15/2016)

I'd hope a cloud provider wouldn't have this happen and would have plans for multiple redundancies and the ability to move systems elsewhere. However it could go either way.

And, yet, they have "downtime".

And wasn't it just a little over a year ago when some major provider had something like more than a week of downtime?

If the data is local, you at least have a chance of surviving something like that even if you have to stand up something temporary. If it's under someone else's umbrella, you're pretty much toast in such a situation. Providers on the cloud need to make things a whole lot more reliable and secure before I succumb to the draw.

Perhaps. I don't think anyone has had a week of downtime. They have spotty outages, though it seems AWS ans Azure (maybe Google as well) are getting much better and learning more. They don't have global outages anymore, at least none I've seen.

However the bigger issue is that they seem to have small failures regularly, meaning that your machine (and workload) might "pause" for a minute or two while it fails over.

I'll see if I can find it but, if I recall correctly, I think it was something about Verizon and it was a full week outage.

[EDIT] And then there's the plight of CLR on AZURE... good luck with the workarounds, folks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• We are a 24x5 shop and track unplanned outages to 12 database environments (Oracle, Sybase, and SQL Server). In 2015 we had 96 minutes of downtime, all related to memory issues on the hardware (AIX and Windows servers).

• I'm not sure I consider Verizon a tier 1 cloud provider. I think they might disagree, but my view is they've gotten into a business they don't understand and convinced some businesses to join them with good salespeople.

• Didn't their SSL certificate expire?

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply