What's triggering the error?

• We're starting a new ETL process that will have data something like

DECLARE @scores TABLE (RepId int, score varchar(50))

INSERT @scores(repId, score)

SELECT 1, '5' UNION

SELECT 1, '8' UNION

SELECT 1, '7' UNION

SELECT 2, '6' UNION

SELECT 2, '.' UNION

SELECT 2, '9' UNION

SELECT 2, '9' UNION

SELECT 2, '7'

--We'll want to average the scores by RepId.

SELECT avg(cast(score AS int) * 1.0) FROM @scores

WHERE isnumeric(score) = 1 AND cast(score AS int) BETWEEN 1 AND 10

GROUP BY RepId

Yields an error due to the '.' in one of the scores. Yes, the data will be like this and obviously needs to be cleaned. I suspect the error is in the WHERE clause but even

WHERE isnumeric(score) = 1 AND score BETWEEN 1 AND 10

gives an error. Is this a candidate for a regular expression?

Thanks,

Ken

• If you only want the rows where the score is between 1 and 10, I would just replace you where statement with something like this.

WHERE score like '[1-9]' or score like '10'

• As per BOL: "ISNUMERIC returns 1 for some characters that are not numbers, such as plus (+), minus (-), and valid currency symbols such as the dollar sign ($). For a complete list of currency symbols, see Using Monetary Data." Use another character (not dot)- everything should be fine

• Have a look here

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/IsNumeric/71512/

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Ah, NOT LIKE '%[^0-9]%'. That's the one. I'm using between 1 and 10 in my example but I don't know that's the range for every question. Maybe there will be a question like on a scale from 12 to 30 :-D. This covers all bases.

Thanks,

Ken

• Read this article by Jeff Moden about the "ISNUMERIC" function and how it can result in returning a field is numeric, when it fact it is not, much akin to your problem

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/IsNumeric/71512/

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• One other piece of discussion that noone's brought up yet.

WHERE isnumeric(score) = 1

This cannot be trusted to go first. It's quite possible to end up with conversion errors and the like from this. You need to subquery this where clause with a FORCE ORDER on the query to single statement it, or you need to temp table the restricted data set. Overloaded columns = significant problems.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (2/22/2012)

One other piece of discussion that noone's brought up yet.

WHERE isnumeric(score) = 1

This cannot be trusted to go first. It's quite possible to end up with conversion errors and the like from this. You need to subquery this where clause with a FORCE ORDER on the query to single statement it, or you need to temp table the restricted data set. Overloaded columns = significant problems.

Right Evil Kraig. I also tried the more bland

WHERE isnumeric(score) = 1 AND score BETWEEN 1 AND 10

but that too gives an error. Guess an Int is conveyed in the BETWEEN clause

WHERE isnumeric(score)= 1 AND score BETWEEN '1' AND '9' works but who knows if it will return all valid cases.

Ken

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply