Whats the difference between SQL 2019 Enterprise and SQL 2019 Enterprise Core

• I'm installing SQL on a dev server using my VS downloads and I have a choice between 2019 Ent and 2019 Ent core.

We just recently switched from server/cal to core licensing and would like to know if there actually is some difference between these installs.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  TangoVictor.
  • from a functionality point of view they are exactly the same.

its just licensing that is different - install is also same just different license key which determines how cpu/core is used/reported.

for a development box you should download the developer edition (free) and during the install on license you select developer.

• OK thanks, and for dev/test we download installs from our VS subscription (MSDN) which are free and we always install whatever version/edition we will be running in production. In this case we could use developer but when the products are being deploy to Standard edition we wouldn't want an Enterprise feature to end up in the release.

• very few items from a SQL coding perspective are not available on standard since 2016 SP1 - before yes it was a problem, nowadays not so much unless you are an extreme developer and use every bit of functionality like Python and R.

If using SSIS then yes there are lots of items enterprise only.

• Yeah this is for the BI side, wish Microsoft was as generous with these products. Thankfully CDC was added to standard.

Licensing is like some kind of twisted game Microsoft likes to play.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• You need to be careful with running msdn downloaded ent/std in dev as depending on your license agreement they can be deemed as prod licenses.

Appreciate you don’t want ent features ending up in dev/test when prod is std but for safety’s sake install dev in lower environments and ensure things are properly reviewed before promotion to test then prod.

Obviously  double check your msdn license terms as to what you can, cannot do with your volume licensing reseller as they will know all your ins and outs with MS.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply