What's the best way to count?

• del

• Tom.Thomson (10/21/2010)

mtillman-921105 (10/19/2010)

kevin.l.williams (10/19/2010)

If I saw any production code like 2, 3 or 4, the developer would get an ear full. I will stick with count(*) thank you very much.

Maybe you're right for most everyday applications. I just tested SELECT COUNT(*) on a table with 5,900,000 rows and it was almost immediate. I think I'll stick with that too.

I think that I was being too hard on MS earlier since COUNT(*) is accurate, even if it can be slow in some circumstances.

COUNT(*) is only guaranteed accurate if your isolation level is REPEATABLE READ, SERIALIZABLE, or SNAPSHOT (or of course if you use HOLDLOCK).

For real? I'll have to look into that Tom. By the way, NULLs do count in a COUNT(*) - I did notice that. ๐Ÿ˜€

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• mtillman-921105 (10/21/2010)

Tom.Thomson (10/21/2010)

mtillman-921105 (10/19/2010)

kevin.l.williams (10/19/2010)

If I saw any production code like 2, 3 or 4, the developer would get an ear full. I will stick with count(*) thank you very much.

Maybe you're right for most everyday applications. I just tested SELECT COUNT(*) on a table with 5,900,000 rows and it was almost immediate. I think I'll stick with that too.

I think that I was being too hard on MS earlier since COUNT(*) is accurate, even if it can be slow in some circumstances.

COUNT(*) is only guaranteed accurate if your isolation level is REPEATABLE READ, SERIALIZABLE, or SNAPSHOT (or of course if you use HOLDLOCK).

For real? I'll have to look into that Tom. By the way, NULLs do count in a COUNT(*) - I did notice that. ๐Ÿ˜€

I cannot completely agree.

In fact, COUNT(*) under REPEATABLE READ may return wrong results. I wrote a repro script here:

• I think the answer is wrong on 2005. Look at the following:

select

sum(row_count)

from

sys.dm_db_partition_stats

where

object_id = object_id('dibs_tmb_saalist') and

(index_id = 0 or index_id = 1)

select count(*) from dibs_tmb_saalist

go

Produced:

(No column name)

(No column name)

That is a pretty significant error in my book. Query 1 is the only reliable method posted.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Note - above is corrected to include index_id line which reduced the error but did not eliminate it.

• You didn't include the restriction on the index_id in your query on the DMV, so that might be the issue.

Try this and see what you get:

select

sum(row_count)

from

sys.dm_db_partition_stats

where

object_id = object_id('dibs_tmb_saalist')

and index_id in (0,1)

• My reasoning also.

• Query 1 is reliable while 4th one is the fastest...

• >> I think I know why they can get away with it. It's because Oracle's even harder to use <<

No, I have found Oracle to be way easier to learn and use.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

• You can read another discussion about row count at :

http://ask.sqlservercentral.com/questions/1980/how-do-i-get-a-list-of-sql-server-tables-and-their-row-counts?page=1#1983

/Hรฅkan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

• Great question that perfectly helps demo on improving performance by use of already existing system statistics hence avoiding much strain and unnecessary use of system resources to gather the statistics.

Thank you.

• Is there any performance difference in the below given three queries.

Note: Col1 is NOT NULL column

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Sales.SalesOrderDetail;

SELECT COUNT(Col1) FROM Sales.SalesOrderDetail;

SELECT COUNT(0) FROM Sales.SalesOrderDetail;

• gkganeshbe (12/26/2012)

Is there any performance difference in the below given three queries.

Not really. The second one with COUNT(Col1) may take a very small performance hit during the parse and bind phases, to check whether there is a Col1 column and if it's nullable, but that is an extremely short amount of time.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• gkganeshbe (12/26/2012)

Is there any performance difference in the below given three queries.

Good question. I ran all 3 of these statements as a batch substituting SalesOrderID for Col1 and displayed the estimated execution plan. The estimated plan showed the cost of each query to be the same at 33%.

Just out of curiosity I then added Query 4 from the question and according to the estimated execution plan it is still the fastest. They all were equally accurate.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply