what's backing up my dataServer?

• Something is running full backups of databases on a SQL server I've inherited and I'm struggling to locate what.

I've put on a server side trace which is telling me which server it's coming from > the SQL host.  I see a generic user being used which doesn't tie it down much for me.  I see in the backup metadata tables a physical device name of device_type 7 which I can't locate (presumably because it's virtual).  I have a client pid which I can try and use somehow but not sure how to do this unless I'm on the server at the time the backups are being run (night).  Maybe I can powershell out pids <> programs over the course of the night somehow.  Nothing relevant in task manager & it's not a SQL agent job or maintenance plan.  Program = Backup Exec SQL Server Agent.

Ideas / pointers gratefully received.

• snomadj wrote:

S  Maybe I can powershell out pids <> programs over the course of the night somehow.  Nothing relevant in task manager & it's not a SQL agent job or maintenance plan.  Program = Backup Exec SQL Server Agent. Ideas / pointers gratefully received.

Program name looks like Veritas BackupExec

Using OS command line utility "tasklist" you can schedule local job to get list of active processes on the remote server which backs up your dbs.

example:

tasklist /S servername /FI "STATUS eq RUNNING" /V

• Talk to your network sysadmins. Likely BackupExec is running for general file backups as well. There isn't anything wrong with the agent here, but practice restores to a new machine and make sure you (or they) can restore a system. I'd set up a test db and add data to a table, marking it with a lot, before and after log/diff backups. Ensure you can restore to any point in time.

• thanks all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply