What would make all of my reports revert back to older versions

• Hi All,

Wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this happening. We have an SSRS with roughly 200 reports. We found a few days ago that all of our reports "reverted" back to their versions from over a year ago. It's as if they were deployed from a really old repo from something like DevOps.

The logs say that it was done by the service account that SSRS is using and it all happened within 30 seconds or so. The log entries look like this minus our report names:

library!ReportServer_0-104!2c20!11/11/2020-11:05:31:: i INFO: Call to CreateReportAction

Has anyone heard of this happening? Does the report server DB keep older versions of reports someplace?

• Did someone restore a bunch of databases recently? Sounds like someone replaced the reports database with an old version, because it would cause your SSRS instance to suddenly look like an old version. (Because it would replace absolutely everything with an old copy.)

• I was worried about that. I ran the below script which didn't list the report server DB.

SELECT 
    [rs].[destination_database_name],
    [rs].[restore_date],
    [bs].[backup_start_date],
    [bs].[backup_finish_date],
    [bs].[database_name] as [source_database_name],
    [bmf].[physical_device_name] as [backup_file_used_for_restore]
    FROM msdb..restorehistory rs
    INNER JOIN msdb..backupset bs ON [rs].[backup_set_id] = [bs].[backup_set_id]
    INNER JOIN msdb..backupmediafamily bmf ON [bs].[media_set_id] = [bmf].[media_set_id]
    ORDER BY [rs].[restore_date] DESC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply