What Will We Take For Granted Tomorrow?

• In some parts of the world it's even becoming a greater problem than historically, because of strains of drug-resistant forms that are starting to appear.

And when you combine TB with HIV you get a very unpleasant situation. Just goes to show we shouldn't confuse "It's a thing of the past" with "It's a thing of the past round here".

--
    Scott

• Scott-144766 (6/8/2010)

In some parts of the world it's even becoming a greater problem than historically, because of strains of drug-resistant forms that are starting to appear.

And when you combine TB with HIV you get a very unpleasant situation. Just goes to show we shouldn't confuse "It's a thing of the past" with "It's a thing of the past round here".

Indeed. Toss poverty and government corruption into the mixture and it becomes one hell of a mess. Locally, if statistics are to be believed (and around here these kind of stats are well below reality), there's over half a million people living with active TB.

How many of these are considered (in the first world countries) to be things of the past?

Malaria

Cholera

Polio

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/8/2010)

Scott-144766 (6/7/2010)

Sadly, tuberculosis isn't a thing of the past like smallpox. It infects a third of the world's population and kills over a million people a year.

In some parts of the world it's even becoming a greater problem than historically, because of strains of drug-resistant forms that are starting to appear.

The East End of London, UK sports one such population.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• WayneS (6/7/2010)

Thought-provoking. Very nice... as are the replies.

Same sentiment.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Very interesting editorial and comments!

This actually plays right into something I'm doing now. In addition to my full-time IT job, I also teach part-time at a small business school. This module (my school's equivalent of a semester), I'm teaching a class called "Office Information and Management Systems." One of the big topics of discussion is how technology has changed the workplace. I've discussed with my class how the office has changed, and how technology has affected that change -- going from typewriters, file cabinets, and switchboard operators to email, databases, and automated phone systems. Talk about a paradigm shift.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply