What tools SQL Server DBA needs on his machine

• I am looking out for some suggestions on what tools a SQL Server DBA would need on his machine such as ssms, visual studio, any other tools that are out there by Microsoft or any 3rd party vendor that can help ease the DBA day to day task such as maybe some useful scripts, password management tools, maybe visio for using stencils to design how the topology looks, tools for database design, monitoring tool, comparing 2 tables for differences etc.It can be a free or a paid tool...although a suggestion for free tool would be most acceptable. Also, any other things that come in mind that can help ease of the DBA tasks.

• The Redgate tools would be helpful.

• Anyone who uses computers should be using password managers, so that's a no-brainer.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SSMS, VS, SSDT, SqlServer PowerShell module, RedGate Toolbelt. Kerberos Configuration Manager for SQL Server, PVKConverter, maybe SQL Server Operations Studio.

I know in my shop we are also looking to get ER/Studio as well.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• It looks like you have multiple hats. The tools you need depends on the tasks you do. SSMS (and that implies SQLCMD and BCP etc) is a must. If you are into scripting/coding, a good text editor will make your life easier. Within my collections, Adam Machanic's sp_WhoisActive and Glenn Berry's SQL Server Diagnostic query sets are my top favorites.

• For scripts, the free SP_Blitz scripts from Brent Ozar's group provide a wealth of information for a DBA:
    https://www.brentozar.com/first-aid/

If you ever are working on helping a developer optimize queries, a powerful free tool is SentryOne Plan Explorer:
    https://www.sentryone.com/plan-explorer

You probably want some kind of performance monitoring tool, so you can quickly and easily see which servers are having problems.  Of course there are many available for cost, and which one is best is a matter of opinion.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply