What To Do When the Import and Export Wizard Fails - Part II Exports

• Thank you so much for a quick reply.

Here is what I did.

I followed all of your steps in the order and the same table and same script to populate the EmployeeHobby table.

1)I did not create the excel file prior to running the SSIS package.I did not create the excel connection by right clicking in the connection manager tray/panel.

2)Instead in the Data Flow tab,after placing the Data Conversion transformation and setting it up by changing the data types as you suggested in the article,then I dragged an excel destination .

3)While setting this,instead of selecting the Excel connection manager,I have clicked on the " New " button,where I have given the name in my F: drive.Since I don't have existing excel connections.

4)Inside the excel destination,while selecting the "Name of the Excel Sheet" I have selected "New" since I did not have my excel file created yet,then a window came up with the following code.

CREATE TABLE `Excel Destination 1` (

`EmployeeNumber` LongText,

`LastName` LongText,

`FirstName` LongText,

`Hobby` LongText,

`N_EmployeeNumber` LongText,

`N_LastName` LongText,

`N_FirstName` LongText,

`N_Hobby` LongText

)

where I have deleted the non aliased columns

so now the code looks like below

CREATE TABLE `Excel Destination 1` (

`N_EmployeeNumber` LongText,

`N_LastName` LongText,

`N_FirstName` LongText,

`N_Hobby` LongText

)

now in the next step ,I have selected the name of the excel sheet as the above Excel Destination_1$

In the mapping columns,it automatically detected the aliased columns and mapped correctely.In my case I have given them as N_EmployeeNumber,N_LastName,N_FirstName and N_Hobby

Now I Hit on Debug button and successfully created the excel sheet in my F: drive and verified the data also.

Thanks

• Thanks for your input. I am glad that you went through the entire process described in the article. When I faced the issue with a big string, I needed a solution I could use to automate a report generation and delivery. I could not use the approach you described because I have multiple lines with different colors on top of a header in a report. In a simple dump data task the download data you described should work. Thanks

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply