What Sql Server 2000 service pack level do I need to run 32-bit apps on 64-bit AMD?

• My company has ordered an HP Proliant DL385 with dual 64-bit AMD Opteron processors for the replacement of our 32-bit production Sql Server 2000 box.  The OS will be 32-bit Win2003.

I wasn't consulted regarding the 64-bit architecture (why ask the dba?)

We're currently using 32-bit Sql Server 2000 SP3. 

In order for our current 32-bit apps to run on this box, do I have to apply Sql Server SP4? 

• "I wasn't consulted regarding the 64-bit architecture (why ask the dba?)"

That's what would really bother me... anything else they're not telling you about??

I have no clue about SP4, my guess would be check on microsoft/sqlserver section to be sure... or wait for someone else to reply here .

• The Ops Manager, who has the attention of the boss at budget time, does the ordering.  He and I don't always seee eye-to-eye on Server specs.  I tell him what I need and wait for the surprise.  This year it was 64-bit architecture. 

The problem is we have several 3rd party apps that aren't SP4 certified.  Thus my delima.  I checked on MS site, but am still unclear about whether SP4 is an absolute requirement to run 32-bit Sql Server on 64-bit architecture.  Also what are the ramifications for DTS, etc?  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

• You don't need to apply any service packs or hotfixes for this environment.  Luckily, AMD 64 bit handles 32 bit all by itself (AFAIK there is nothing you could anyway).  Your OS is going to be 32 BIT so SQL won't even recognize (or use) 64 regardless even if it was capable.

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Thanks AJ.  That's what I needed to know.

• Now you can tell him he wasted a few dimes for absolutely no reason and that you could have told him that before he bought it .

• Um, we purchased an AMD 64-bit and here is what MS says,

Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions supports an architecture based on 64-bit extensions to the x86 instruction set (x86-64), which supports AMD64 processors as well as Intel processors with Extended Memory 64 Technology (EM64T). This platform lets you take advantage of the wealth of existing 32-bit Windows applications, while also powering the latest 64-bit technology.

Am I wrong, or does Windows 2003 and SQL Server 64-bit exist now for AMD? 

We have a DL series with Opteron running 32 bit and it is very fast so I wouldn't worry too much about your investment.  The Operaton scales very well (Not a sales pitch or endorsement).

• Hi James,

I don't think you're wrong regarding:

"Am I wrong, or does Windows 2003 and SQL Server 64-bit exist now for AMD?"

Our problem is still the 3rd party apps we have that support neither Sql Server SP4 or 64-bit.

I'm anticipating a performance boost due to improved caching, more memory, etc.  Eventually we'll take advantage of the 64-bit, I hope.

• Sorry, but I may have gone OT a bit.  I was curious about a particular reply to your original question.

I understand your frustration concerning third party and 64-bit.  You just never know where a vendor will be at any point in time.  And, I do know that it is frustrating when someone else "decides for you" as to the platform to be used and you are the one expected to make it work by "yesterday."  Let us know how this works out.

• BTW:

DTS and SQL 64bit are ENEMIES no DTS on 64bit SQL) though you can always run the packages from a REmote 32 bit Machine

* Noel

• To your knowledge Noel, will DTS run ok on 64-bit architecture runnning 32-bit OS and 32-bit Sql Server?  According to AJ there won't be any impact.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply