What should we put in server name option in dialog box ?

• Hi,

I have installed sql server 2008 express edition with managemnt studio successfully on my local pc.

In the connect to server dialog box in starting...

options --> server name....what I should put as I have installed on my local pc so to bee able to get in

I want to just learn some sql stuff by creating a database , inserting values..

Thnks

Regards

Skybvi

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• The name of your machine.

• I am getting error as attahced.

Regards

Skybvi

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• Yes, the name of your machine. Otherwise when using a client tool to connect to a SQL Server instance on the current machine "(local)" will work.

• SKYBVI (9/25/2012)

Hi,

I have installed sql server 2008 express edition with managemnt studio successfully on my local pc.

options --> server name....what I should put as I have installed on my local pc so to bee able to get in

Thnks

Regards

Skybvi

Generally you will put in your computer name. You can also put localhost or just type a period . in that field and it will connect to the local instance of SQL Server.

• cphite (9/25/2012)

SKYBVI (9/25/2012)

Hi,

Thnks

Regards

Skybvi

Generally you will put in your computer name. You can also put localhost or just type a period . in that field and it will connect to the local instance of SQL Server.

Both options are not working....same error as attached above is coming...

Thxs

Regards

Skybvi

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• Couple possibilities:

1. Unless you changed the option during install, you actually will need to connect to {Computer Name}\SQLExpress

2. Check that the SQL Service is running (based on your error, it may not be)

I can replicate your error by stopping my SQL service on my PC, or by changing the name of the instance I'm trying to connect to.

Make sure when you check the state of the service, use the SQL Configuration manager, rather than the Services MMC (Start->All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server {version}->Configuration Tools)

Jason

• jasona.work (9/25/2012)

Couple possibilities:

1. Unless you changed the option during install, you actually will need to connect to {Computer Name}\SQLExpress

2. Check that the SQL Service is running (based on your error, it may not be)

I can replicate your error by stopping my SQL service on my PC, or by changing the name of the instance I'm trying to connect to.

Make sure when you check the state of the service, use the SQL Configuration manager, rather than the Services MMC (Start->All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server {version}->Configuration Tools)

Jason

yes SQL Services has no items under it

so what should i do

Thxs

Regard

Skybvi

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• I'm not sure what you mean by "SQL Services has no items under it."

If you mean you've gone into the Configuration Manager, and there's nothing listed when you select the "SQL Server Services" on the left (items should be displayed on the right side of the screen,) then something may have gone wrong during your install.

Jason

• Did you try (local)?

• bret.christoe (9/25/2012)

Did you try (local)?

yes bret

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• jasona.work (9/25/2012)

I'm not sure what you mean by "SQL Services has no items under it."

If you mean you've gone into the Configuration Manager, and there's nothing listed when you select the "SQL Server Services" on the left (items should be displayed on the right side of the screen,) then something may have gone wrong during your install.

Jason

Ya it seems its either corrupted or not properly installed.. 🙁

Hav to try agian to reinstall it ...

Thxs

Regards

Skybvi

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply