what should i do to become a DBA

• hi,

Can anybody suggest me what are the steps i should take to become dba.

is that i need to join in best training center or can i practise on my own.

• 1.) I am going to start by assuming that you have a bachelor’s degree in either Computer Science or Information Systems Management. Now that is not absolutely required or mandatory because some companies want you to have a degree in computer science and most would accept a degree in any industry. Even if you don't hav a degree, you cn still build a DBA career as you gather exeprience, so don't feel like you can't become a DVA without a degree.

2. When searching for companies, try to land an IT job at a company that utilizes the SQL Server Database software as the back-end.

Learn the Windows Server operating system and master SQL Server database design and development before you tackle SQL Server Administration.

Note that while becoming a DBA is your ultimate prestigious goal, it may be beneficial for you to start with learning or mastering Relational Database Design, Development, SQL Server Stored Procedures, Views, Indexes, Triggers and Advanced SQL Query Optimization.

These are just some of the things needed to learn on your way to mastering SQL Server Administration, Maintenance and startind your DBA career.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• raviveesha - Saturday, August 29, 2009 12:15 AM

hi,Can anybody suggest me what are the steps i should take to become dba.is that i need to join in best training center or can i practise on my own.

First, you have to figure out what kind of a DBA you want to be.  You also have to be sure that being a DBA is what you actually mean because the term "DBA" has been abused a whole lot. 

That being said, what do you think a DBA actually does?  Why do you think you want a DBA?  If it's only for money, forget it.  If you think for a minute that it's going to be easy, forget it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, July 26, 2017 5:05 PM

raviveesha - Saturday, August 29, 2009 12:15 AM

hi,Can anybody suggest me what are the steps i should take to become dba.is that i need to join in best training center or can i practise on my own.

First, you have to figure out what kind of a DBA you want to be.  You also have to be sure that being a DBA is what you actually mean because the term "DBA" has been abused a whole lot. 

That being said, what do you think a DBA actually does?  Why do you think you want a DBA?  If it's only for money, forget it.  If you think for a minute that it's going to be easy, forget it.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have the same questions as raviveesha too.  I started out as a data entry guy and worked my way to an IT position and began developing in SQL and SSRS with very little SSIS.  Now I want to do more with SQL and I don't really know what path to follow.  When you say "what kind of DBA do you want to be", I never knew there are different kinds.  Could you please elaborate a bit as it seems you have a lot of experience - how many kinds of DBAs are out there?  
    Thanks in advance for your response!

• afmatix - Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:14 AM

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have the same questions as raviveesha too.  I started out as a data entry guy and worked my way to an IT position and began developing in SQL and SSRS with very little SSIS.  Now I want to do more with SQL and I don't really know what path to follow.  When you say "what kind of DBA do you want to be", I never knew there are different kinds.  Could you please elaborate a bit as it seems you have a lot of experience - how many kinds of DBAs are out there?  

That's easily answered by a google search.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+kinds+of+DBAs+are+out+there%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Tuesday, December 5, 2017 6:27 AM

afmatix - Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:14 AM

That's easily answered by a google search.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+kinds+of+DBAs+are+out+there%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I kinda feel silly for asking now.  Thanks for the response.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply