What Motivates Microsoft Against Spam?

• It's an interesting hypothesis as to why Microsoft if suing Spammers. And one that's entirely plausable. Since it seems that most people link security and spam in their minds, Microsoft is making a huge positive PR splash by pursuing spammers.

I know that Microsoft has said that security is in the forefront of their minds. I know that I've heard the mantra at the last two PASS Summitts from the various Microsoft employees, especially the development team. I'm sure I'll hear it at PASS 2005 in Dallas this September (use the "SSC" source code when you register). And I'm sure that secrurity is forefront on the developers' minds and they are doing what they can to ensure that the product is very secure.

In the 4 PASS Summits I've attended, the 3 TechEds, and the one PDC I made, I've spoken to lots of Microsoft employees. And whether you like Microsoft or not, or even if you believe that they are just saying the company mantra as drummed into their heads, one thing I know is that they are proud of their work. And they are offended and ashamed when there are security issues.

Still, I wouldn't put it past the marketing folks to be pushing this strictly for the PR value. Advertising works, at least to some extent and the constant strides being made by Microsoft, and heavily reported, will have an affect on their ability to continue to sell their products.

Already the connectivity issues with one of the May patches haven't been widely reported. Even the Linux folks at Slashdot didn't go crazy over this one as they might have a year or two ago.

Besides, Slashdot has much bigger conspiracy theories to worry about. Microsoft buying Red Hat??

That one will keep them busy for weeks.

Steve Jones

• As important as security is, it's very difficult to actually get marketing traction, because good security is essentially invisible (like a tire maker marketing 'no blow-outs'). People talk about security, and expect it, but when shopping for product look for features and expect security to be present.

Much of the vulnerability to email borne attacks are due to MS long history of trying to make computer use mindless to the user,putting so much functionality in the invisible layer beneath the user interface in a misguided form of one-click user friendliness (with versions of Outlook that insist on html display and freely ran most anything that came through them).

{a real pet peeve of mine is MS insistance on turning off extension display as a default. This serves no function except a 'don't worry your pretty little head' mentality about file types. In the long run, it increases confusion, because users can see several different files called 'setup' and not understand which is which. Users, including beginners, SHOULD be shown what kind of file they are clicking on, that simple act of awareness could help many develop at least some basic defensive skills}

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply