WHAT IS WHERE!!!

• Ok...so release manager skips town....boss says...hey...we need a deployment matrix!! WHAT IS WHERE.......so now I ask you...anybody have any good examples of a matrix .....tried and true info needed to tell the boss WHAT IS WHERE?? Anything I can build off of...get ideas off of?? Thank you my guru's for any help!!

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

• A deployment matrix could mean many different things and even when in the same context it could mean different things to different people. To my knowledge it's not a standard industry term with a single definition. What exactly is the request? With a mention of a release manager it sounds like your boss wants to know which version of code is in which environment for every deployed application. Can you clarify, or get more clarity from your boss?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• You are on the money!! We have lowside and highside servers. We have database code and app code. We have modules for db/app. He wants to know what has been deployed where. (I am answering my own question, sort of...a picture is coming into my head thinking about this!!). I am not an excel guru....thought maybe there was samples/examples out there of others keeping track of such things. Is this helping???

thank you for the input!!! :hehe:

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

• Angelindiego (1/24/2013)

I am not an excel guru...

A tab for each WHERE, a row describing each WHAT

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Angelindiego (1/24/2013)

You are on the money!! We have lowside and highside servers. We have database code and app code. We have modules for db/app. He wants to know what has been deployed where. (I am answering my own question, sort of...a picture is coming into my head thinking about this!!). I am not an excel guru....thought maybe there was samples/examples out there of others keeping track of such things. Is this helping???

thank you for the input!!! :hehe:

Just keeping it simple I was thinking the first column in a Worksheet (a.k.a. a Tab) within an Excel Workbook could contain the list of apps or databases while the first row would contain the list of named environments. The intersection of each row and column would contain the relevant information for that deployable in the environment. Something along these lines:

DEV1 QA PROD

APP1 2013-02-20 Release 2012-12-17 Release 2012-12-17 Release

APP2 ....

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Yes sir!! During the night, I thought about writing a query within TFS and see if I can pull out all the info I have on deployments....see if I can export to excel. New ground...let's see what happens!!

Thank you for your input!!!

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply