What is the short cut to launch SQL Query analyzer in SQL 2012 ?

• Hi All,

May I know what is the short cut to launch SQL 2012 query analyzer? I know the below short cuts for 2000,2005 and 2008.

SQL 2000 --> isqlw

SQL 2005 --> sqlwb

SQL 2008 --> ssms

SQL 2012 --> ?

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• Is SSMS from run not working for sql server 2012 ?

• If you right click SSMS in the menu and select properties, you will see the shortcut it refers to.

It is still "ssms.exe"

• Thanks for the reply ,

But if we have both SQL 2008 and SQL 2012 , then will SSMS work ? In that case which one it will open?

Sorry to tell you that I'm yet to install SQL 2012, so couldn't try.

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• Normally you can install client tools of different versions side-by-side.

The .EXE files are located in different folders in the program files, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Hi Koen,

Thanks for reply. Usually I open the management studio by typing the short cut in Run as below

SQL 2000 --> isqlw

SQL 2005 --> sqlwb

SQL 2008 --> ssms

So if I have installed SQL 2012 also in same machine , then what short cut I can give in Run to open SQL 2012 ? If I give ssms , it will open SQL 2008 or 2012 ?

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• It completely depends on your path. I would guess 2012, but you'd have to test it.

• only4mithunc (2/29/2012)

Hi Koen,

Thanks for reply. Usually I open the management studio by typing the short cut in Run as below

SQL 2000 --> isqlw

SQL 2005 --> sqlwb

SQL 2008 --> ssms

So if I have installed SQL 2012 also in same machine , then what short cut I can give in Run to open SQL 2012 ? If I give ssms , it will open SQL 2008 or 2012 ?

I have shortcuts in my quicklaunch bar. It never fails 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Fine,

Let me try after installing it. Thanks to all once again.

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• Hi all,

I have installed SQL 2012 R0 and the SQL Server Management Studio property for SQL 2008 and SQL 2012 are showing different path as below:

SQL 2008

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe"

SQL 2012

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe"

But when I gave SSMS in the Run prompt , Management Studio for SQL 2008 has got open , so I still doubt how do we open SQL 2012 management studio through Run prompt.

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• You can rename the file, you can change your path variable, or you can click the icon in the menu.

This is a basic Windows function, not a SQL Server one. If you want to run a program, it must be in your path or you must type the correct path to get to the program.

• only4mithunc (2/29/2012)

Hi all,

I have installed SQL 2012 R0 and the SQL Server Management Studio property for SQL 2008 and SQL 2012 are showing different path as below:

SQL 2008

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe"

SQL 2012

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe"

But when I gave SSMS in the Run prompt , Management Studio for SQL 2008 has got open , so I still doubt how do we open SQL 2012 management studio through Run prompt.

Why don't you simply create a shortcut on your desktop that points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• I haven't tried with SQL 2012 yet, however I tried with SQL 2011 Denali and it uses the latest version.

SQL 2008 -> ssms

SQL 2011 -> ssms

Start | Run | ssms -> It opens ssms for SQL 2011

• Thanks all.

I have SQL 2008 and SQL 2012 in same machine and when I tried Start-->Run--> ssms it opened SQL 2008 not SQL 2012.

As people mentioned I might have to try creating some short cut at my desktop.

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply