What is reliable method to find all unresolved references?

• I need to find all stored procedures that point to a table, function, a database that does not exist. I am using sys.sql_expression_dependencies built-in view for this.

There are two problems with it. First, in some cases referenced object in this view is just an alias; and second, it happen to be a part of XML query.

In this query I am trying to find all referenced databases that don't actually exist:

select  referencing_object_type = refing_obj.type_desc,
    referencing_object_name = refing_obj.name,
    d.referenced_server_name,
    d.referenced_database_name,
    d.referenced_schema_name,
    d.referenced_entity_name,
    d.referenced_id
    from sys.sql_expression_dependencies d
    join sys.objects refing_obj on d.referencing_id = refing_obj.object_id
    where d.referenced_server_name is null
    and d.referenced_database_name is not null
    and not exists (select name
    from sys.databases
    where name = d.referenced_database_name)

And the most of returned entries are actually parts of XML queries inside of stored procedures.

I also tried sp_depends, but it's deprecated, sys.sql_dependencies, but it's also going to be removed. And sp_recompile does not check anything, it just marks a S.P. to be recompiled for the next run.

What you usually use for this kind of problem?

Thanks

• What do you mean by XML query? An XPATH query?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Apparently it's XPATH. It looks like this:

SELECT ActivityLogXml.Activity.query('Comments').value('.', 'varchar(max)')
    FROM @ActivityLogXml.nodes('/Activity') AS ActivityLogXml(Activity)

And the part ActivityLogXml.Activity.query is interpreted by sys.sql_expression_dependencies as db.schema.object

• Stepping back a little, have you tried importing your database into a Visual Studio database project and then attempting a build? That should throw out various errors and warnings to help you find any rogue references.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• No, I don't have Visual Studio. And I am looking for SQL solution.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply