What is NT SERVICE\SQLSERVERAGENT?

• Hello,

I can't seem to find any good articles online that describe what this group is. Can anyone help with this?

• What operating system are you on? SQL Server 2008 can take advantage of service isolation in Windows Vista and later operating systems. This assigns a SID to the service and the service is granted rights. What this means is the service account the service is running under doesn't automatically get access. It must be coming from the service in question. In this case, that service is the SQL Server Agent service. More here:

Service Security in Windows Vista

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as I have with the service SID accounts.

After installing SQL 2008 on Windows 2008, I used the configuration manager to enter the domain logins and passwords to start the sql server.

What happens is that it removes MSSQLSERVER (the service SID) from the "login as a service" user right and does not add the domain account I entered for SQLSERVER into this same right.

So then SQL does not start. The event log indcates that the login as a service permission is missing.

As it turns out SQL 2008 is different than SQL 2005. The NT Service\MSSQLSERVER account is the account used to start SQL, not the domain account. When this account gets removed from the user right, SQL will not start.

We tried adding NT Service\MSSQLSERVER back in to "log in as a service" and it looks like it gets added but we get an error "failed to update local policy database". And then SQL still will not start.

This only seems to occur on servers where we have group policy activated. But we have nothing in the group policy that would prevent adding service accounts. Microsoft has a kb article with a similar problem but it only occurs on domain controllers and the hot fix for it doesn't work on non-domain controllers. see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975566.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience this with Windows 2008 or is it just my shop.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply