What is executing my Stored Procedure?

• barry.smallman (10/7/2010)

Hi,

Yes, I tried amending the SP to query the sys.dm_exec_connections DMV as suggested in the reply by Lowell!!

When the stored procedure failed to run this morning, I started investigating why it couldn't find the DMV, only to discover that this is a SQL Server 2000 instance!

(I have an excuse - I've only been here a week, so I'm still learning what instances exist)

I shall have to look into using the server side trace approach, but that will take some investigation, as I have never set one up before.

Looked at the windows scheduled tasks? More likely an isql command if 2000

Hi,

Yes, I tried amending the SP to query the sys.dm_exec_connections DMV as suggested in the reply by Lowell!!

When the stored procedure failed to run this morning, I started investigating why it couldn't find the DMV, only to discover that this is a SQL Server 2000 instance!

(I have an excuse - I've only been here a week, so I'm still learning what instances exist)

I shall have to look into using the server side trace approach, but that will take some investigation, as I have never set one up before.

Barry most of the query i posted does not need the dmv; i only included it to get the IP address.

even then, if it is being called by windows task as someone suggested, you'll only end up with a bit of info to help track it down.

/*--example results

EventDate dbname hostname applicationname procedurename userid unsername suserid susername Is_ServerAdmin_Sysadmin Is_DB_owner Is_DDL_Admin Is_DB_Datareader ORIGINAL_LOGIN

2010-10-07 06:18:11.227 master STORMDEV Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio - Query NULL 1 dbo 261 Stormdev\Lowell 1 1 1 1 Stormdev\Lowell

*/

--this should work in SQL2000

SELECT

getdate() as EventDate,

DB_NAME() As dbname,

HOST_NAME() As hostname,

APP_NAME() as applicationname,

OBJECT_NAME(@@PROCID) as procedurename,

USER_ID() as userid,

USER_NAME() as unsername,

SUSER_ID() as suserid,

SUSER_SNAME() as susername,

IS_SRVROLEMEMBER ('sysadmin') AS [Is_ServerAdmin_Sysadmin],

IS_MEMBER('db_owner') AS [Is_DB_owner],

IS_MEMBER('db_ddladmin') AS [Is_DDL_Admin],

IS_MEMBER('db_datareader') AS [Is_DB_Datareader],

ORIGINAL_LOGIN() AS [ORIGINAL_LOGIN]

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for that Lowell.

I have added the SELECT STMT to the SP.

I shall check it again tomorrow am to see what it gives me.

P.S. It didn't like the 'ORIGINAL_LOGIN() AS [ORIGINAL_LOGIN]' so I removed that.

Hi,

To set up the server side trace, you don't have to write it from scratch. You can set up a trace in Profiler and then generate a script from there. That's really one of the easiest ways to get the server side trace set up. Just remember to put a filter in for your procedure.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thats what I am thinking, Windows Scheduled Task?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply