what is better - Detach/Attach or Backup and Restore?

• Hi All,

We are taking a snapshot of the database everynight, however because of speed issues, can't transfer data over the link to the other site that actually needs latest copies of the database 2-3 times a week.

So, we are going to take snapshots and snapmirror them to a different Filer (on SAN). This way we can give the users, at the other site, the data they need.

In such scenario, what do you think is best to do - Detach/Attach or Backup and Restore everytime they need it?

Your views are appreciated.

Thanks,

TK

• Depends.

Things to consider:

Detach/Attach:

FOR: Quick

AGAINST: Database is taken offline and can't be used until it is attached.

BACKUP/RESTORE:

FOR: Database is still in use.

AGAINST: Backup (and restore) takes a longer amount of time.

-SQLBill

• have you thought about using replication? There are also 3rd party products out there that can do realtime byte level replication across locations...its an investment so I guess it depends on how much you value this availability..

Thanks..

Rich

• Thanks for the ideas guys, 

It is a shame that after putting in such latest technology to do SAN level replication and then can't use it at the moment because of the poor link between the two sides.

I'm going to have a meeting with my manager tomorrow, and will suggest if we want to do SQL level replication rather than the SAN level.

BTW, talking about replication, wouldn't I need a better link again, to be able to replicate to the other site?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply