What is a DBA?

• I am wondering excatly what a DBA does? I have been a database programmer on SQL Server 2000 for over a year with some very light DBA duties (mostly in charge of making sure the backup jobs did not fail).

I was wondering excatly what a DBA does, and more importantly, how time consuming is the the job. In my position, I am not always busy, but I assume a true DBA is busy all of the time.

Any information would be very appreciated, seeing as how I want to go this route in my career, and stay away from application development (SQL Programming would be alright)

Thanks in advance,

Michael

• here have been a number of articles in SQL Mag which have attempted to define what a DBA does and more importantly the skills required. I'm sure you'd be able to find them on the sql mag web site.

Even a "true DBA" has some time to spare, e.g. to post on forums

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• hahah. most DBA's have spare time while waiting for the server to catch up with them

DBA's do less programming, more planning, monitoring, optimising and under the bonnet stuff. A DBA should know their hardware/os/sql config, and sql commands off by heart. "Monitor, test, change" is the mantra.

SQL Enterprise Manager is a play toy, the real power comes from T-SQL. You need to be able to understand the complexities of HOW Sql server does what it does and WHY.

You need to know what data is in your database, where it comes from, how it gets in there, and how it is used, exported, read, accessed. Security and integrity of the system / databases.

DBA's sit closer to the "Systems" or IT Department, and much further away from the Developers. IE: you become one of the hated as opposed to one of the dreaded. Hahah.

But really there are so many things a DBA has to do, more than I can remember, and a few I havent had to face yet! Read up about the Microsoft DBA (MCDBA) certification. Get some of the books (in particular Administration and Database Design ones) to get a feel for how much a DBA covers.

Julian Kuiters
    juliankuiters.id.au

• A Day in the Life of a DBA

A day in the life of a DBA is usually quite hectic.  The DBA maintains production and test environments, monitors active application development projects, attends strategy and design meetings, selects and evaluates new products, and connects legacy systems to the Web.  And, of course: Joe in Accounting, he just resubmitted that query from hell that’s bringing the system to a halt.  Can you do something about that?  All of this can occur within a single workday.

To add to the chaos, DBAs are expected to know everything about everything.  From technical and business jargon to the latest management and technology fads, the DBA is expected to be “in the know.”  And do not expect any private time: A DBA must be prepared for interruptions at any time to answer any type of question – and not just about databases, either.

When application problems occur, the database environment is frequently the first thing blamed.  The database is “guilty until proven innocent.”  A DBA is rarely approached with a question like “I’ve got some really bad SQL here.  Can you help me fix it?”  Instead, the DBA is forced to investigate problems where the underlying assumption is that the DBMS or perhaps the DBA is a fault, when the most common cause of relational performance problems is inefficiently coded applications.

Oftentimes the DBA is forced to prove that the database is not the source of the problem.  The DBA must know enough about all aspects of IT to track down errors and exonerate the DBMS and database structures he has designed.  So he must be an expert in database technology, but also have semi-expert knowledge of the IT components with which the DBMS interacts: application programming languages, operating systems, network protocols and products, transaction processors, every type of computer hardware imaginable, and more.  The need to understand such diverse elements makes the DBA a very valuable resource.  It also makes the job interesting and challenging.

--Exerpt from “Oracle DBA on UNIX and Linux” by Michael Wessler, Chapter 1, titled “What is a DBA?”

Although this is an Oracle-related statement, it applies to SQL DBAs as well...

Additionally, here's my two cents: If you want to be a DBA, be prepared to adjust your home life to accomodate the inevitable pager and 3 am calls.  Going home doesn't mean you leave work...

• There is also a good online article titled, "Why DBA'a Must be Jack-Of-All-Trades" by Craig Mullins, dated Sep 13, 2002.  You can find it on http://www.informit.com or do a web search on the title.

• I just purchased that book. Thanks!

More information from real world DBA's is still wanted and appreciated though

• Someone tell me as well, i'm an ex SQL Developer via .NET, vb and AcuCobol.NET, i've taken a new job as a DBA and I promise, I don't know whether I'm coming or going at times, I'm learning more of the OS side of things, networking, and how each of our (several) 3rd party applications work and are setup.  Quite a bit to keep on top of.  At the same time, I'm also maintaining SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 servers (and setting up terminal servers and other application/file servers).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what I do, but I'll be glad when I'm a bit more familiar / comfortable with EVERYTHING.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply