What is a DBA???

• Hello DBA aficionados.

I have been in the IT dept of my place of employment for a few years and for over a year now I have really been the one to try to keep our database “afloat”. We do not have an official DBA. I found more of an interest in the databases as I began working on them than any other part of my IT position, IE.. Backups, Exchange, Firewall/security,networking, Windows 2000 administration etc... The Director saw my interest and allowed me to start working with the database and application developers to get an understating and develop my skills in SQL Programming, VB, and Web Development. All of which I have limited knowledge of. So far, I have set up a much needed Database Maintenance plan and reworked some stored procedures to make our databases more efficient. I am using Brian Kelly’s book to help with some performance issues. I am learning more about the code so that I can help on the programming changes that need to be made as well as hardware changes to make our database servers, applications and website run smoother. I guess I am being sort of a liaison between the IT/hardware side and the Development/programming side? I have taken the Microsoft SQL classes and am in the process of taking the more advanced VB classes. I know I have lots more to learn and your site has helped me tremendously with SQL. In about 6 - 9 months, I would like to propose to the Director about creating an official DBA position and of course “MOI” would like to fill that slot.

This leads me up to my questions to the DBA Gurus out there. What does a DBA do? What do I need to do to get my skills up to par to propose this position and be able to do the work. Is there an official job duty list for a DBA? Am I on the right track as far as proposing this to my Director with the information I have given you? What tips or suggestion can you give me to put in my proposal. Would Certifications help? Where can I find a salary range/recommended skills for beginning to senior DBA’s?

Whew!!! Sorry for the long post and all the questions, or if I am repeating what someone else has posted, but more and more everyday as I get into SQL I love it!!!

Thanks

Mona

aka The future

EbonyDBA

• For every orginazatio you work for this will be different. But a DBA is primarily the person(s) responsible for maintainence and upkeep of the server. They should handle authentication and problem monitoring. If problems found the relavent code should be sent to the developers to correct. They should also be the person to give approval or deny changes to a database or addition of a database to a server.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I agree with Antares686, this is diferent for every company. I've been working with SQL Server Databases for +- 3 years now and still don't see the letters DBA anywhere near my job description. I work for a small manufacturing concern and fulfill the role of "Complete Computer Person". I do the backups, the installs / re-installs, software support (as in MS Office, Win9x 7 Win2k,etc), Hardware support (as in Network cards, Monitors, Pc's, Printers, etc.), the Networking (hubs, routers, cabling, et al.), Servers(as in Win2kSvr, Win2kTS, et al.) AND I admin the SQL Boxes (1 Production, 1 Test).

I do the perf tuning, the uptime assurance, the recoveries if needed and the maintence bit.

Official Title is "IT Systems Admin" (seems to fit OK).

Just because you work with SQL Server and DB's doesn't make you a "DBA". A title is really nothing more than words...

As far as "DBA" job duty list: A functional DBA should be usefull in the following areas...

Backup Procedure & Software (you can't restore what you don't understand),

Windows 2000 Server incl. Security and file system, A programming language or two (VB, Java, C#/C++), T-SQL is a must for MS SQL, You MUST be able to install & configure SQL Server Software, Create databases, Restore / revive DB's from the dead, Create & understand Maintenance plans & procedures, Understand the finer workings of SQL & SQL Server for Perf Tuning and Trouble Shooting (that includes Profiler, QA, EM, ISQL / OSQL & BOL) AND be able to do what needs to be done at 3 in the morning without any caffiene, using only your skills and with a 2 hour deadline.

"It makes me want to run around the Server Room in a Super-Hero Costume"

"It makes me want to run around the Server Room in a Super-Hero Costume"

• You are in the unique position of helping write your own job description. I think that you could take snippets from each responder to build a complete picture of what a DBA does.

I do not agree that a title is nothing more than just words. Most organizations of any size have an HR department to whom such things as titles are very important because they are a tied to salary grades and compensation and those topics are important to everyone. The decription underlying that title is the key to scoring that job for compensation.

The web site salary.com has some job descriptions that might help. IMHO it is better to write your own description than to let someone else do it for you.

• It is an ever changing world!

-JG

• Congratulations!  You just entered the world of "I do everything".  Your boss will love you for your newfound interest but now you've compiled it on top of your old duties.  If you don't want all the baggage, you need to decide whether you can make a clean split from all your old responsibilities.  Otherwise, be prepared for the avalanche.

• See, if this helps:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=5&messageid=146326

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• What is a DBA? The day I find out I will let you know as its been different for each company iv worked at. Right now I am the "do everthing" type DBA. It is interesting untill you are developing then production has a problem. What now? Miss deadline of development project or fix Production?

Be carefull of your workload!

Andy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply