What, if any, is the best type of replication for implementing on hundreds of databases on one server?

• As always, you need to look at your RTO (Recovery Time Objective), your RPO (Recovery Point Objective) and the value to the business of lost time or data. It is also good to know what is the business driver that is making your management look at this issue.

If you know all this than you can architect a solution that meets business needs and which will have budget made available. If you do not know these then you are working in a vacuum, and you could find your plans fly apart when they get a business or budget review.

With large numbers of databases, then miroring at the disk level definitely minimises the setup and support work, but without knowing the RTO and RPO it may not be the best solution for you.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• 1) Your server would likely die a horrible death if you set up replication on 500 databases, unless they were mostly read-only.

2) Likewise for database mirroring (even asynchronous).

3) I built a custom log-shipping process for a client that managed over 7300 databases on a single server, it was fairly complicated but bullet-proof once I got all the kinks worked out. I even had the backup server go into standby-mode for the restored databases so they could be hit for read-only reporting during the day. This isn't something we can do via forums but I would be happy to engage with you to see if we can modify the system I built to work in your environment to fit your needs.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply