What happens when the xact log fills up?

• Hi guys,

I'm curious about how SQL handles a full transaction log. I'm running a population of a temp table with a lot of rows (roughly 70M), and when I run dbcc sqlperf(logspace) it says 99% of the tempdb log is full. Obviously that's not ideal, but my question is what then happens? It doesn't throw an error so is it still working? Does it have to do some sort of disk/memory swapping of the transaction log? Is occasionally filling-up of the xact log ok? Or is it something that has dire consequences for other operations as well?

Executive Junior Cowboy Developer, Esq.[/url]

• SQL will try to grow the log file. If it can't any data modification that runs will get error 9002 and fail.

You've probably got a tiny autogrow set, so the log's growing but maybe 1MB at a time and so SQL is growing the log again and again and again all in tiny fragments.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • When all inserts, updates and deletes return an error and the data being transmitted gets lost, most people consider that pretty dire.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks for the info. I'll definitely go back and batch this op.

Executive Junior Cowboy Developer, Esq.[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply