What Every DBA Should Know about Always On Readable Secondaries

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item What Every DBA Should Know about Always On Readable Secondaries

• Although need to accept some lag time, transaction log replication can offer a similar outcome.

If our purpose is a read-only replica only, whether the extra cost is worthy is really questionable.

• Thus every row will have this 14 bytes of extra storage , regardless if that row gets updated later?

----------------------------------------------------

• MMartin1 wrote:

Thus every row will have this 14 bytes of extra storage , regardless if that row gets updated later?

That extra 14-bytes will be added only when the row is modified.  SQL Server does not go through and modify every row of every table when you setup a read-only secondary.  Enabling snapshot isolation or turning on RCSI work the same way.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I very much enjoyed this article. One of the best ones I've seen in a while.

• Thank for that article, I understand it now, Snapshot isolation works by using a method called row versioning before any change is made to a row, SQL Server copies a version of that row to a designated space in TempDB, before the change is made. The versioned row will remain in TempDB for as long as the transaction that is changing the row is open.

{https://fr.cocote.com/}[/code]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply