What Does a DBA Do?

• One downside of being a DBA is that we don't have interesting narratives to tell at the dinner table or at social gathering. Lawyers, school teachers, even truck drivers have interesting narratives, but nobody outside IT cares about the drama that goes on in the server room. From 9am - 5pm we're mostly isolated from the concerns of the outside world.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (5/4/2016)

One downside of being a DBA is that we don't have interesting narratives to tell at the dinner table or at social gathering. Lawyers, school teachers, even truck drivers have interesting narratives, but nobody outside IT cares about the drama that goes on in the server room. From 9am - 5pm we're mostly isolated from the concerns of the outside world.

"What did you today, honey? [and don't tell me anything technical]"

"Uh, nothing interesting....."

• Perhaps, but a DBA will always have to most bytes at a dinner party. 😛

• ...and they'll always be able to find a table to join

• FunkyDexter (5/4/2016)

...and they'll always be able to find a table to join

OUCH!

• jeff.mason (5/4/2016)

"What did you today, honey? [and don't tell me anything technical]"

"Uh, nothing interesting....."

When family members ask your how our day went or express some interest in what we do for a living, it's important to give them something. Considering our odd working hours and fat paychecks, if we simply evade their questioning or reply with cryptic responses, then they'll most likely come to the conclusion that we're probably a drug dealer or spy.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• It depends largely on the organization. Sometimes we wear a number of database related hats, in some organizations it would be highly siloed.

Interestingly in our organization we have one largish SQL database which is the back end for a complex BI application. In this case I am the DBA for the SQL server level, but there is another person who is the DBA for the BI data (including the arcane collection of business rules that feed the BI). Her 'database' is the highly dimensional structure and all the daily feeds in and out. My 'database' is the SQL server level machinery that sits underneath it. We need to work closely because neither one of us has a deep understanding of what goes on the other's world.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Ed Wagner (5/4/2016)

sdelachapelle (5/4/2016)

Do Basically Anything 😀

Default Blame Accepter.

Does Bugger All

Devils Bloody Advocate

• I wonder if being considered a spy make just be the right way to go! What do you do? Ah, well, I can't really talk about it.

• Iwas Bornready (5/3/2016)

Andy Warren (5/3/2016)

Gary, the interesting part for me is that people ask a developer "what are you working on?" and they ask me "what do you do?". Both are about getting to know someone, but the questions come across differently (though I may be biased!).

A developer (or programmer) makes the things people see on the screen. So they know what they do, just not what they are doing today. But a Data Base Administrator administrates. That makes no sense. Heck, I want to know what a DBA does. 😉

If you're ever forced to find out what a DBA does someone messed up somewhere 😛

• My job is to make sure my customers - be they internal or external - have the data they need when they need it to be successful in their job.

• Eric M Russell (5/4/2016)

...they'll most likely come to the conclusion that we're probably a drug dealer or spy.

Tried pretending that I was a spy...the family didn't buy it.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I've been interviewing for some new DBA positions. I've asked every single hiring manager and senior DBA what the DBA does at their organization. It's not because I don't know in general what we do, it's because there is no standard. I use the opportunity to hear what they say and formulate my own opinion.

• Yet Another DBA (5/4/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/4/2016)

sdelachapelle (5/4/2016)

Do Basically Anything 😀

Default Blame Accepter.

Does Bugger All

Devils Bloody Advocate

Don't Bother Asking

- heard from Developers 😛

• shaneoneillis (5/5/2016)

Yet Another DBA (5/4/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/4/2016)

sdelachapelle (5/4/2016)

Do Basically Anything 😀

Default Blame Accepter.

Does Bugger All

Devils Bloody Advocate

Don't Bother Asking

- heard from Developers 😛

Definitely Bring Alcohol

- heard from DBAs everywhere :w00t:*

*Not all DBAs drink alcohol.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply