What Do We Want to See in SQL Server?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item What Do We Want to See in SQL Server?

• Cross Database Queries on Azure PaaS Data Platform.

• The Dark Mode issue is real.  Iirc MS's excuse (for years and years) for not having it has been it would potentially make SSMS unstable.  Disappointing.  Largely due to the lack of Dark Mode (there's a hack but not really) I switched to Visual Studio.  We're told VS is supposed to be a more "developer focused" tool whereas SSMS is more "administration focused".  But there's one thing about VS which drives me crazy: SQL Server Object Explorer does not include "View Dependencies"!  How could a developer focused tool leave that out?  I switched to VS but SSMS is always open too so I can "View Dependencies"

In the past (30+ years) I wanted MS to fix/improve the data access tools and libraries.  Now it seems the proceduralists have unwittingly opened the door to true integration.  They even gave it a pejorative name: Minimal API's.  C# bloggers/Youtubers list the new features and then wonder what it could be used for lol.  My data access wish list is empty now

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Here is something that rubs me on a daily basis:

I hate sprinkling my code with RAISERROR just for the sake of printing status messages, because it's ugly and confusing to others who might not be familiar with the technique. Also, I hate complicated PRINT statements that involve concatenation, type conversion functions, and formatting of strings. Instead, I want the PRINT command to support arguments and variable substitution consistent with RAISERROR. I'd also like to see a PRINT parameter allowing the message to be printed immediately to output rather than at the end of the batch.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I wish they would have a create date and modified date (if applicable) for everything created within SQL Server.  Linked servers, Triggers, Alerts, Operators, etc.  When I went from DB2 to SQL Server I was surprised when created 'thing's don't have a create date and/or modified date. In DB2 everything created has that and the ID of whom created it.  Not a big deal but it would have been helpful in some instances.

• In SSMS I dream of having the MSX / Multi Server Administration "Manage Target Servers" window to be resizable, like just about every other window in SSMS.  It has been the same size since SSMS became a thing and monitors are a bit bigger now.  Sadly the MSX / TSX architecture doesn't seem to be used by enough customers for it to get any love.

• satnam.singh 44358 wrote:

Cross Database Queries on Azure PaaS Data Platform.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/cross-database-queries-in-azure-sql-database

• Steve Collins wrote:

The Dark Mode issue is real.  Iirc MS's excuse (for years and years) for not having it has been it would potentially make SSMS unstable.  Disappointing. 

While I don't want dark mode, I do think that lack of it when almost all other tools support it, is unexcusable, not disappointing.

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Here is something that rubs me on a daily basis:

I hate sprinkling my code with RAISERROR just for the sake of printing status messages, because it's ugly and confusing to others who might not be familiar with the technique. Also, I hate complicated PRINT statements that involve concatenation, type conversion functions, and formatting of strings. Instead, I want the PRINT command to support arguments and variable substitution consistent with RAISERROR. I'd also like to see a PRINT parameter allowing the message to be printed immediately to output rather than at the end of the batch.

The whole testing t-sql code is poorly done. I'd love to see a lot of things here, as well as better error handling. Throw was nice, but not really completed.

• Summer90 wrote:

I wish they would have a create date and modified date (if applicable) for everything created within SQL Server.  Linked servers, Triggers, Alerts, Operators, etc.  When I went from DB2 to SQL Server I was surprised when created 'thing's don't have a create date and/or modified date. In DB2 everything created has that and the ID of whom created it.  Not a big deal but it would have been helpful in some instances.

Yes, I've love this. I want to know when schemas rev. I think this might be the start of then implementing slowly changing dimensions in schemas, which could be an app seeing an older version if needed. Oracle allows this.

• TL wrote:

In SSMS I dream of having the MSX / Multi Server Administration "Manage Target Servers" window to be resizable, like just about every other window in SSMS.  It has been the same size since SSMS became a thing and monitors are a bit bigger now.  Sadly the MSX / TSX architecture doesn't seem to be used by enough customers for it to get any love.

I think that's true.

• I think Microsoft should look at what Snowflake have done regarding importing/exporting data to "stages".  A stage being an area either internal or external to the DB on which files can be dumped for ingest/export.

Internal stages are separated into table stages and user stages.

Snowflake have used a simple SQL syntax for everything you do.  Of all the data warehouse platforms I have used I've found myself enjoying Snowflake the best.

General Parquest/ORC handling would be good too, possibly support DataBricks DeltaTables which are based on Parquet.

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Here is something that rubs me on a daily basis:

Agree on this - an implementation of something like printf would be ideal and allow for the same kinds of messaging we can do with raiserror without having to resort to complex string manipulations or formatmessage statements - and the same WITH options.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply