What Do We Want from PASS?

• Grant Fritchey

Anyway, that's the one thing I'd like to see. More direct support for the local users groups

Grant used Live Meeting to make a presentation to the Columbus SQL Server User Group on 10/8.

Unfortunately I was unable to attended as it conflicted with my user group meeting ONSIG (Ohio North Special Interest Group) whose meeting was the same evening.

Now if there were some way to record those Live Meeting sessions and deposit them with PASS. Pass could then create a library of these sessions and make them available to user groups. True direct interaction with the speaker would not be available. I think this would still be of great benefit to smaller user groups who have a difficult time getting speakers.

Editted 1:32 PM .. Corrected spelling of Grant's last name

My apology kind sir.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (10/22/2009)

Grant Finchley

Anyway, that's the one thing I'd like to see. More direct support for the local users groups

Grant used Live Meeting to make a presentation to the Columbus SQL Server User Group on 10/8.

Unfortunately I was unable to attended as it conflicted with my user group meeting ONSIG (Ohio North Special Interest Group) whose meeting was the same evening.

Now if there were some way to record those Live Meeting sessions and deposit them with PASS. Pass could then create a library of these sessions and make them available to user groups. True direct interaction with the speaker would not be available. I think this would still be of great benefit to smaller user groups who have a difficult time getting speakers.

Who's this Finchley fellow and why is he plagiarizing my stuff?

:hehe:

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I think posting videos of some of the presentations would be a good way to show what the Summit has to offer.

As for PASS in general, I like a lot of the suggestions regarding surveys and research about items of interest to the community. And providing more support for the user groups, to me, feels like something that should have been there from the start.

Feedback is always important. As I have learned in other areas of life: How can they know if you don't tell them?

KevinC.

• I really like Jack Corbett's suggestions. All three of them. I've been kicking around the idea of starting a user group here in my town, and a PASS affiliation seems like a good idea, but what would they offer me? Based on their website, almost nothing. OK, I can get a chapter web page, woo hoo.

Having access to a speaker and/or a sponser directory? I'd pay for that! To offer links to training and educational materials and discounts to conferences would help me advertise and draw members.

I'd like to see these things in the near future, so I guess they are my 1 year plan suggestions.

Dan

• Not generally a talker on topics, but while I find SSC very useful, I don't find use for PASS at all. I can't use my scant training dollars to attend their conference and I get so much more useful and meaningful information and helpful solutions here. The kind posters here at SSC have taught me more than any of the other books and classes I have invested in.

Thanks! and I'll pass on joining PASS.

• ahperez (10/26/2009)

Not generally a talker on topics, but while I find SSC very useful, I don't find use for PASS at all. I can't use my scant training dollars to attend their conference and I get so much more useful and meaningful information and helpful solutions here. The kind posters here at SSC have taught me more than any of the other books and classes I have invested in.

Thanks! and I'll pass on joining PASS.

You are the person that needs to post what PASS could/should do to get you to become a member. I certainly don't expect PASS to replace/replicate what SSC does, but there has to be something it could offer so that it could be relevant for people in the same position as you. These are the ideas that the board of directors need.

On a side note, I have a new pet peeve. Referring to the PASS Summit as PASS. That is the first thing that PASS has to stop in order to become relevant. If everyone considers the Summit to be synonymous with PASS why would they go there for any other reason? Call it the PASS Summit or just Summit, then you can get a distinction between the conference and the organization.

• Jack,

Good points and I do think we need to remember it's the Summit. In the past, PASS (the organization) has not offered much more than the conference.

I don't see PASS as the group that provides you with answers and help, but what can they do? What would entice someone to see value in the organization?

• Wanted to post so that you'd know I was interested, we can always use feedback. I try to always use "PASS Summit" and agree with Jack that just calling it PASS hurts our marketing.

Sometimes even small things equal value. For example, we're maintaining a blog directory and an event calendar. Not flashy, but useful, and I think appropriate for PASS to do that. We'll probably make the 24 Hours of PASS an annual event, and we're looking for other things that fit our 'niche'.

We're always looking for suggestions. Doesn't mean we'll embrace every suggestion we get, but we don't ignore them either!

• I'm planning a blog a post this week, pre-Summit on my suggestions for PASS. I'll be honest, most center around resources for user groups as that is where I am at right now. But I also think that for PASS to truly grow and provide value, it needs to start at the grassroots/local level.

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/26/2009)

Jack,

Good points and I do think we need to remember it's the Summit. In the past, PASS (the organization) has not offered much more than the conference.

I don't see PASS as the group that provides you with answers and help, but what can they do? What would entice someone to see value in the organization?

Maybe if you could outline how membership of PASS would benefit an individual, that would be a start.

I live and work in the UK mostly, working as a contract DBA. I dont have time, regardless of what others think, to attend any user groups or meetings. I would like to know how being a member of PASS would benefit me directly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• I think what we're looking for is what would you like? I'm not sure PASS has benefits for you now, but if they could offer something, what would be helpful?

I'd say that attending a user group meeting isn't that hard. You don't have to go every month. I go 1-2 times a year to the Denver group. It's about networking, and making contacts. That's an investment in possibly finding a new job for a consultant. Or you could speak on something and get exposure for yourself.

• Perhaps, as you say Jack, I am the person who should post, and let people know what would be in inducement to joining PASS. Fortunately, I have a full time position with insurance benefits, but most of my colleagues don’t. I think that for any professional organization to be taken seriously in its industry and be worth the price of membership, it needs to fill the basic needs of its members. Offering group insurance coverage and the types of benefits offered by professional organizations in other fields is long overdue in the IT sector. Comprehensive, affordable educational materials and stronger support of local chapters would also be needed to get my interest up.

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/27/2009)

I think what we're looking for is what would you like? I'm not sure PASS has benefits for you now, but if they could offer something, what would be helpful?

I'd say that attending a user group meeting isn't that hard. You don't have to go every month. I go 1-2 times a year to the Denver group. It's about networking, and making contacts. That's an investment in possibly finding a new job for a consultant. Or you could speak on something and get exposure for yourself.

I would prefer tangible benefits, which give an incentive for joining. I have a lot of ideas but I would need to think carefully about the way to present them. Personally I see no benefit to joining and PASS is viewed very much so as US centric, which doesnt really help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• I agree with Steve that even the occasional trip to a user group is useful - it should be fun, not a chore!

On value, just to make sure all realize, membership in PASS is free. I know there is still a time investment to sign up (minute or two), and then whether you have reasons to return. I see PASS right now as a 'once in a while' destination, things that impact career, event news, etc - which is different than the mission of sites like SSC and SQLTeam. Maybe we should change that, but right now that's how we're focused.

Jack, I look forward to your thoughts on PASS!

Also, I'll admit to being US focused, but Greg Low has put in a lot of work driving growth in international chapters, we had another European Summit, and in general he's convinced me to pay more attention to other areas of the world. It'll take time, but we'll get there - we have to build a presence, learn the culture, figure out how to best contribute.

• It seems that since PASS is a chapter organization, they need to focus on what they can offer their chapters. Since I'm considering starting a user group here in my city (Eugene, OR), I'm looking for all the who, what , why and where I can. I mentioned before about how much I liked Jacks ideas on directories. If I put this thing together and do monthly or every other month, I will need a regular source of speakers and sponsors, not to mention topics. I'm looking to learn something, I'm not doing this to be a speaker, I'm just a Lazy-DBA (shout out).

I'm not convinced the larger organization really needs to focus on the individuals. Again, if PASS is a chapter organization, then the members need to be drawn to the chapters, so if PASS makes the chapters look good then they will look good. This will also make it easy for members who have to move to another location get reconnected, because even if the faces have changed, the backbone is the same.

Dan

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply