What do we need to set up replication?

• What do we need to configure a transactional replication between an SQL cluster and a standalone server?

I have Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, SQL Server 2000 Enterprise editions.

When I tried to specify a folder on the SQL cluster for snapshot, I got the following error if I use the default path

\\myServer\myDrive$\myFolder\ReplData

'\\myServer\$myDrive\myFolder\ReplData' is not a valid path, or it refers to a file instead of a folder.

Here myServer is the virtual SQL Server name, and myDrive$ is the share drive of the cluster.

I got the same error if I use the virtual server box name, such as myServerCluster

\\myServerCluster\myDrive$\myFolder\ReplData

If I changed the path to:

myDrive:\myFolder\ReplData

there is no error. But my understanding is the replication can be carried out only on the local server.

I bet we need to open port to access the share drive, but I could not convince other team to do it. My company is weird. If you want someone to do something to you, you need to convince (educate) him why he needs to do it.

Any input?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

• When you say open a port, what is the network topology between the clustered and stand-alone servers? Is there a firewall in between?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I think so. I post this question because I do not know the configuration, neither do most network engineers here. I do not expect exact answers but possible solutions.

Thank you very much for your input.

• Most firewalls are configured to prevent NetBIOS-based communications. It is unlikely that a network engineer is going to undo this sort of protection without strong justification... there are ways of doing replication using FTP. However, again, if there's a firewall involved there's likely going to be a configuration change required. You're going to need to verify the network topology before proceeding, otherwise you may just end up going around in circles.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply