What Could Go Wrong?

• Actually - this conversation WAS about contingency plans, bad separations and what SHOULD be done who act irresponsible in their duties as DBA's.  UNTIL it got hijacked.

I read a lot of things about a LOT of topics.  But you're peeing in my cereal when you go "off the reservation" and pollute an area dedicated to something entirely different.  Flame wars here should at least be dedicated to the purity of set-based performance, or Orable vs MSSQL vs Notes.  We hit each other over the head with technical things, performance metrics, views vs stored procs, clustered vs. non-clustered, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THIS PLACE IS ABOUT.  We also do it with facts (hopefully), things that are reproducible, can be mathematically proven.

If and when I want to read about unsubstantiated accusations in the dark about something that happened some time ago - I will go find an appropriate forum for that.   I have many interests - but I don't come here to discuss the wonders of a given recipe for pancrusted pork chops in a chasseur sauce.

In the meantime - I am kicking myself for even rising to the bait for such drivel.  Do what you will with this thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt thanks for "We also do it with facts (hopefully), things that are reproducible, can be mathematically proven"

It is proven that a Boeing 757 cant fly that close to the ground, thats a fact, easy to mathematically prove.

The towers and it's construction can't come down in free fall speed without explosives well places all over the buildings, thats also mathematecally provable easily !!! They had each 47 massive steel columns in its core and 240 steel columns around its perimeter. The core was called "indestructable" and was calculated to sustain 10 times maximum load. And they were designed to sustain having a Boeing 707 (the largest airplane of its time) to crash into it.

What about WTC building 7, it came down in 6,5 seconds (free fall speed) at 5.20 pm the same day, a 47 story building. That was not hit by any airplane, a steel building has NEVER in history (other than on 9-11) collapsed due to fire or external damage.

Steven Jones, Professor at Bringham Young University has recently chimically proved that the dust from the towers contained exactly fingerprints of THERMATE (high temperature explosives - cuts though steel like a knife though butter), how do you explane that. Look at the following video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4549750234983943323&q=Steven+Jones+PNAC&total=88&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Btw, did you know that Oracle started as a CIA project? and that Larry Ellisson immediately after 9-11 suggested National ID card, supported by Oracle databases of course...

• Not to sound corny, but, "You're both right."

Johan is right to be concerned about civil liberties issues that come up in the context of technology, and that some of them are downright terrifying (or should be to anyone interested in remaining not only "safe" but free). Just because it is not strictly about indexes and SQL does not mean that Steve does not want us to discuss it or that it should not be discussed here.

But Matt is right that such concerns, while valid, should appear in a thread where that context is the most relevant, and that in this case it was not relevant. I can easily see Steve offering us such a context if he wrote an editorial about what databases are storing data and video about the attacks, and who has access to them.

In reality, though, 9/11 "came up" in this thread because of Steve's modest PS asking us to remember those people who died on 9/11. And, of course, today is actually the anniversary of that catastrophic attack, and instead of the simple remembrance that Steve asked of us, a thread of invective (however well intentioned) has been the result, and we are now distracted from remembering the human beings who lost their lives that day.

Naturally, if there is any kind of conspiracy regarding that horrible act, then by all means we should get to the bottom of it. But there are forums all over the internet where such discussions should take place, and that is why I think Matt has reason to be upset that it is spilling over into this thread.

webrunner

However,

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• cuckoo for cocoa puffs? peeing in your cereal? A breakfast fetish of some sort, Matt?

This forum is kind of a "off the reservation" place as it is. I'm not always on the topic of databases, or even computing, so I'm hesitant to close off anyone's thoughts. I was more hoping for a discussion on the first 90% of the editorial, not the last sentence, though I was somewhat suspicious that would happen.

As long as the Kennedy Conspiracy, 9/11 issues, or any other tin foil headwear topics don't end up in the answers to questions about performance tuning or restoring to a point in time, it's ok by me.

I'm fairly skeptical of Johan, but he has a right to his beliefs and I'm an open/free speech kind of guy, so he's welcome to post here. If you don't want him to respond to your posts, don't respond to his.

A moment was silence was observed this morning before school with my son. He raised the flag and we stood quietly before heading off to the chaos of the day.

• Let's just say I had my full of the stuff that he was shoveling.  This was the CLEAN version of what I really was going to say (let's be thankful I do have some self-control).  Sorry - my Tourette's episode threw some interesting word combinations in there.  I'll stop feeding the troll, yessir.

As someone who had loved ones with "near misses" that day, finding that kind of claptrap in some place I considered "safe" was a rather nasty surprise.  My mother in law worked across the screet and was one of those running from the cloud of smoke (for 20 some blocks if memory serves me),  so that kind of idiotic behavior is the lowest of lows, and evidently something that doesn't sit well.

I'm a firm believer in free speech - you shouldn't have to die for your opinions.  That doesn't mean everything goes without consequences, however (and besides - I don't think they had trolls in mind when they wrote that).  As someone smart once posted:

However, there is a time and place where free speech applies.

If you wish to post re: the original topic, that's fine, but this is not a 9/11 forum. Johan, I respect your opinions and you may be right, but this is not the place. Any further postings on 9/11 in this thread or any thread not dealing with 9/11 will be removed. If you wish to start a thread in the "Anything that is Not SQL" forum, please feel free to do so.

Hmm...I wonder who said those words....

And in case you're wondering - I don't eat cocoa puffs...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Here's a mission statement that may sound familiar to some:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America"

Conspiracy? No. Failure of duty? Absolutely.

Tying in with Steve's original post, even the smartest people (i.e. the authors of said Constitution) can't foresee every possible scenario. The best you can do is to have some kind of contingency plan and test as much as possible.

P.S. How about a moment's silence for the 2700+ people who die EVERY DAY from malaria (http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/impact/index.htm). Eh?

James Stover, McDBA

• Matt Miller,

Yes, there should be "free speech zones", the US is no longer one single free speech zone, as the US constitution says. There are more than 100 witnesses who testify about explosions from the towers as they came down, probably your mother in law also heard perfectly syncronized explosives going off all the way down.

Its amazing someone is talking about others having opinions and talking about death and that there should be consequences for some certain people with opinions. And at the same time that person say he is a firm believer in free speech, that doesn't add up, does it? Exactly the same way the official conspiracy theory doesn't add up.

If you read the 9-11 comission report, you will start laughing, its all comic stuff, everything in it is contradictive and lies. what do you say about the Philip Zelikow, a Bush insider and a public myth expert is the head of such a comission, so they are investigating themselfs. How is it possible they cleaned up the the crime scene, and shipped the steel to china without first investigating? Thats a crime in it self, isn't it?

It's soooo easy to connect the dots (facts) when you start looking at it, and to understand that 9-11 was an inside job!

Matt, why not let me know if any of the facts I was mentioning is wrong? Because if what I was mentioning is not wrong the official conspiracy theory is completely impossible.

• sorry, I forgot this question. That would be Newtons law about conservation av momentum och conservation of energy.

Newtons laws are not about that buildings can't collapse. Its about that a certain mass moves in a certain speed and direction relative to what energy is applied. In this case we were told the energy was only pure gravitation. But the floors underneath would have slowed the process.

Now we see the building below where the plane hit, just pulverizes itself, letting itself come to the ground in free fall speed without any resistance at all.

That is physicaly possible only by using well placed and computer syncronized explosives all over the buildings.

Best regards

Johan

• Anders,

I just want to adjust my previous post a little bit. Its the Andrews Air Force Base that is really close to the pentagon, here is a link on Google maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Andrews+Air+Force+Base,+MD&geocode=&dirflg=&daddr=pentagon,+washington+dc&f=d&hl=sv&sll=38.82656,-76.85855&sspn=0.126778,0.21904&ie=UTF8&ll=38.84051,-76.967812&spn=0.126753,0.21904&z=13&om=1

Langely, is a little further away south, but they also have fighter jets on standby. They reach pentagon probably within 15 minutes, whereas Andrews is only a mere minute away.

Norman Mineta also testified to the 9-11 comission (which was ignored in the report) about Dick Cheney:s stand down order, here is a video about that

http://video.google.com/url?docid=7797944525480443766&esrc=sr1&ev=v&len=234&q=Norman%2BMineta&srcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbDfdOwt2v3Y&vidurl=%2Fvideoplay%3Fdocid%3D7797944525480443766%26q%3DNorman%2BMineta%26total%3D68%26start%3D0%26num%3D10%26so%3D0%26type%3Dsearch%26plindex%3D0&usg=AL29H234xtZwALWFKZBh9WuQIE6r9h2dsg

• Seeing the irony of what I am about to write, I will write it anyway (as someone who has gone off on tangents in the odd post or three... )

Steve - is there any chance that Johan's comments could be moderated so that when he hijacks a post with the 9/11 conspiracy thing again that it just gets moved to the "Anything not about SQL" forum?

Hell, give him his own section in there ("Johan's Conspiracy Theories for DBA's") - this constant bullshit about something that I'll never prove one way or another in my lifetime is tiresome and, best dealt with on a forum that is dedicated to the topic.

I have my thoughts about politics and those who cheered when those towers fell but at least I've got the self-control to not crap on about it HERE.

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• Matt51F1,

I understand that you don't want to mix this forum up with conspiracy theories about 9-11. But don't you think that is a bit unfair for the following reason:

What about the official conspiracy theory getting mixed up on my TV day in and day out, you know that story about these 19 al-Qaida members who conspired to outfox the most sophisticated defense-system in history. Running this story the way they do it on TV is far mor pervasive, than me making a few posts in this forum. So why don't you call the TV-people up and ask them if they kindly will stop talking about the official conspiracy theory on TV all the time. If you dont believe me, please go look up in the dictionary for yourself and read what the word conspiracy means.

I think that the official story qualifies as "Conspiracy" since there were 2 or more guys in secret planning to do something illegal. Think about it, maybe otherwise you have bought this selling of this bogus "the war on terror".

Howcome you accept running this crazy official conspiracy theory on TV all the time? Where is the logic here? Ali-baba and the 10 boggiemen?

• Johan,

Valid points but what you have done here is assumed something to be fact when quite the opposite is true. I don't accept what the media tells me on TV & radio and in newspapers because the mass media are nothing more than illiterate morons writing rubbish to suit the political ideology of an editor or publisher.

I detest the media and I live for the day when I will be the only witness to a big event and they will approach me for details. Being a bloody-minded, spiteful bastard: I will take great delight in telling them to piss off because I have had a gutful of their inability to report on the news and to report half-truths and innuendo as fact. Journalists, once upon a time, had the ability to research facts before reporting their opinion - now they just report their opinions as fact based on hearsay and innuendo.

Now, by and large, they are nothing more than gossip-columnists preaching "freedom of speech" only when it suits *their* purposes while not being accountable for the garbage they write.

-----

*sigh* Johan goes off about 9/11 and I go off about journalists (amongst other topics). I guess I have to retract my question about giving Johan his own forum and moderating his comments when I am effectively doing the same thing

This is why I have a blog - I can post all my opinions to my hearts content and then if I get comments, it's because people *want* to read it and don't cop it because they're on a forum about an unrelated topic that's been hijacked.

Do you see my point, Johan?

I've no problem with you having your opinions and arguing the points that you do. I will gladly listen and contribute to the discussion when I have the time to do so BUT I go to *THIS* forum to discuss SQL Server material - work related stuff - career-based information - to help me with my job and to manage the facilities for which I am responsible. 9/11 & SQL Server are mutually exclusive and I'd like to keep it that way when I am on someone elses dime.

Do you go to a car forum to talk about ways to deep fry a possum? Do you go to a baby-related forum to find details about NAMBLA? No. I don't go to a SQL Server forum to read about 9/11 (or idiot journalists (excuse redundancy ) and anyone with any objectivity on the subject should realise this and have the self-discipline and maturity to know the difference.

The other problem with interjecting SQL Server forum posts with filler not related to the topic is that it will ALWAYS drive away some contributors and subsequently leave *our* knowledge base poorer for it - and who do you think would be responsible for that?

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• Matt51F1,

First of all I’m not a random guy popping by this forum, as I mentioned earlier I have worked with programming since 1982, and every year since then. My first use of databases was ISAM on an ABC800 computer. I would hate to admit that I would not be able to judge what is database related and what is not. What I am writing about is highly database related, because all of this information generated by the increasing surveillance society, Video cameras, National ID card and on and on, ALL GOES INTO DATABASES, right?

And 9-11 was the start of this "fake-war on terror", only to create a shock (called shock therapy) to cut back civil liberties at a very rapid pace. Benjamin Franklin once said "If you give up liberty for Security, you will end up losing both". I think personally that we should listen to our founding fathers and their wisdom.

Matt, isn't better to admit something that matters, for example that you were wrong on the meaning of the words "Conspiracy theories", and they you agree about that the government official story qualifies as on Conspiracy Theory among other conspiracy theories. We simply have to judge which conspiracy theory is true. We can do that by looking at the evidence, what is possible and what is not.

Do you call Steve Jones (the moderator of this forum) an idiot journalist, because you can in one of his many forums read about "off topic Select statements" things? Do I understand you on this? Steve says himself he is not always exactly "On Topic". Writing Editorials is Journalistic work and thats one of many things Steve seem to do, so when you talk about idiot journalists who exactly do you refer to?

If you want to embarrass me, just prove me wrong on one single argument of those I posted. Just one single argument, that would not be difficult for you, would it? If you can challenge ANY OF MY FACTS, like there is aerodynamically impossible for a Boeing to have crashed into Pentagon, there is no wreckage, the hole is far too small, no scratches on the lawn AND how 3 steel-skyscrapers in New York could come down in free fall speed (without explosives), by hitting two of them... THEN you and the official conspiracy theory would win, and other conspiracy theories would lose. Its provable beyond any doubt at all that 9-11 was an inside job

Look at for instance on what Alan Cooper talks about. (I have red all his books) We have to end the DM (Death March) to create software that behaves poorly. For that we have to have a wider understanding of what is going on whether it is the internal processes at a company or in society in general. This is (I think) all highly related to SQL server.

• Don't confuse writing editorials with reporting of news events.  Editorials are a journalists opinion based on what ever facts they may (or may not) have found while researching a topic.  Unfortunatley, it is true that many journalists have starting reporting opinion as fact, thinking that most of us are too stupid to know the difference.  With so many ways to find information today, it is easy for us to research and verify what is reporting and come to our own conclusions.

I personally do not subscribe to the conspiracy theries that say 9/11 was an inside job.  I do agree that many of the signs of what was about to happen were missed and if the various governmental agencies had communicated effectively, 9/11 could have been averted and many lives spared.

• Yes, that exactly right, the difference between editorials and reporting news can be defined, as can "conspiracy theory". Lynn is the first one in this forum to say a conspiracy theory tells a certain thing. All others like Matt mean that the government story is NOT a "conspiracy theory" which is completely wrong by definition. (I am just thinking for myself, if you can't understand this definition, how would you be allowed to work on important SQL-definitions?) The government story is ALSO a conspiracy theory, just as the one I suggest which is that 9-11 was in inside job is also a conspiracy theory.

Lynn has an excellent point saying that it’s easier than ever to research on your own, thanks to the internet. That is why we so easily can find out about 9-11. Just try Google "What crashed into pentagon" or "WTC 7", and see what you find. You will be amazed, let me tell you. If you don’t agree, just try challenging me!!!

I am sure there are people here reading this, who also know about the facts I have mentioned, that the 3 sky-scrapers in the world trade center came down by controlled demolition, and that there is no Boeing crash in the Pentagon. It’s all a big lie, used to get control of Middle Eastern oil, to save the dollar system and to cut back civil liberties here at home. Let me ask you, who gained on the towers falling down? Al-Qaida?

What about Philip Zelikow? The guy who was director of the 9-11 commission. He is an expert in creating public myths, what a guy to investigate 9-11 if you need to cover something up 🙂 Go look in Wikipedia for yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply