What changes in primary/principal propagate to mirror/log-shipping secondary

• Not really a problem requiring a solution this one, more a question a wasn't sure of the answer to and couldn't find exactly the answers I needed in the answers to other posts.

I was recently asked to increase the auto growth on a database that has both mirroring and log-shipping implemented. Whilst changes to database size do seem to be reflected in the sizes of both the mirror and log-shipping secondary I was wondering if the same was true with changes to auto-growth settings since, if not, then the same change would need to be made to the mirror at some point shortly after a fail-over occurs, either planned or otherwise.

Entirely unsure of log shipping here, although academic if the change is indeed propagated to the secondary.

Gordon.

• Good question. Assuming that those changes use DDL under the hood, they would be written to the transaction log and replicated.

Did you try it? What were the results?

• Unfortunately, and as far as I know, I can't determine whether any change to auto-growth is propagated without failing over to the mirror or re-creating log shipping since I can't query the metadata for either. However I'm happy to be over-ruled on that one.

And as this is a production system that's not going to happen any time soon I'm afraid. I don't currently have access to a suitable test environment to answer the question either unfortunately.

Gordon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply