What algorithm do you use to determine low space?

• I want to create an alert on low space for SQL Server. My instances vary a lot between number of drives, numbers of data files on each drive etc.

Some of my drives are full 99% with only SQL Server data files on there, but they are only 60% full. Some other drives have 60% free space, but the data files are nearly full.

I initially thought of creating an alert for if Disk Space Used > 80% AND SUM(% free space in data files) > 80% then fire an alert. However this approach does not take into account large drive sizes (we have some greater than 4TB) and the autogrowth amounts for each database. To complicate things further, some databases have more than one data file on multiple disks.

How have you solved space monitoring alerts?

• You can't really plan for the crazed variability that comes up. Instead, I took an approach of getting an alert at 85% and 95% full on the drive. However, as you point out, some drives may exceed this, so you allow for exceptions. Most monitoring tools, assuming you're using 3rd party (and that really is the way to go), allow for this, so you can put in an exception as needed on individual drives or servers.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply