We're Not Faster with AI

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item We're Not Faster with AI

• When it comes to advice or programming code, we should treat ChatGPT and other AI platforms as if they are an 'idiot savant' with an extremely large knowledge base and recollection - but limited real world experience and common sense.

We should give it a seat at the table and leverage it's unique insight - but we shouldn't trust or depend on it too much.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Very interesting topic, Steve. The odds of us adopting GitHub (GH) Copilot are zilch. I really appreciate your putting in a link to the RedGate blog post by Matt Hilbert. I read through it with great interest. I confess that I've been under the impression that GH Copilot would improve our software development effort, regardless of how good or bad we are at producing code and the quality of that code. Matt and Jeff Foster's observations are an eye opener.

We have a lot of technical debt, which sometimes weight us down so much that it is hard to move forward. But at the same time management doesn't want us to fix the issues that exist (unless it is broken). I've asked around from other government agencies and have been reminded that there is always pressure to build new applications to solve new problems, but always a shortage of staff to do it. Upon reflection, this is true. Add to that the fact that we don't have any code reviews, then GH Copilot might not be of much use. Or at least only useful for a few. BTW, we're going to try to adopt code reviews, pull request, etc., so this might change. I hope that the adoption of code reviews, PRs, etc., will make us better. Only time will tell.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply