Weird Transaction Log Backup issue to NAS - If you have a minute please read!

• Hi SQL Server Central Community,

I have a weird issue and wanted to reach out and see if anyone could point in me a good direction for resolving the matter.

Essentially I have 5 physical servers with SQL Server 2005 installed all running under the same domain account service account, taking transaction log backups every 15 minutes to a NAS.

Every Sunday at 4:05 PM the transaction log backups start failing for all 5 servers. I have retries on the transaction log backup jobs but it doesn't help. The only work around I have is restarting SQL Server on all the machines and like magic the transaction log backups start passing again.

What I did notice this past Sunday was that 1 of the 5 servers transaction log job started passing after a couple retries without me having to restart SQL.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I don't know much about NAS and don't have access to it. I'm trying to get a hold of the log files on it.

Is it possible that a NAS has received too many handshakes from a single account and just craps out? I thought that but it doesn't make sense that restarting SQL would be a workaround then as I never changed the account they run under...

Thanks in advance!

• Michael,

my first question is what kind of error message do you get in the SQL Errorlog.

Then is the NAS mapped as a local disk or as a network share.

Since it always happens around the same time I would investigate what else is happening around that time. We ourself had some issues with a slowly responding NAS, while the NAS where backupped to tape.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply