Weird quirk connecting to SQL2K

• Does anyone know why I cannot connect to SQL2000 through a Dialup connection until I restart the

SQL2K service?

Example, I connect a remote W2KPro computer to a standalone W2KPro computer using a Direct dial

TCP/IP connection. Next I try to talk to SQL2K through this connection (with an ODBC driver or with

Enterprise Manager) but it just will not work. So I restart the SQL2K service and then like magic I

can now talk to SQL through the connection.

Note: This is not the case when I use SQL7, I can connect through the dialup with out having to

restart SQL7.

Does any one know why?? How can I connect to SQL2K through a Dialup with out having to restart

the service?

Same problem in the following scenario.

I have a portable (Windows98 Second Release + SQL2000 Personal Edition SP1) and a desktop PC (Windows 2000 SP2 + SQL2000 Standard Edition SP1). I connect these two PC’s with a direct cable connection.

I want to register the SQL server database from the portable at the Desktop PC. It will only work after stopping and starting the SQL Server at the portable.

When I break the connection and restart the connection I have to redo the starting and stopping of the SQL Server at the portable otherwise the registering of the SQL server will not work.

The following will happen :

A connection could not be established…

Reason : SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

ConnectionOpen (Connect())

Does somebody know a solution ?

With kindly regards

Alef Auman

• I don't have a solution. Are you running sp1 for SQL2K? Connecting using named pipe or TCPIP?

Andy

• Yes I'm running SP1 for SQL2000.

I'm connecting using TCP/IP.

In the second scenario with the direct cable connection it is only possible to use TCP/IP because on Windows98 you can only install personal edition and with this version you don't have named pipes in the SQL Server Network Utility.

Alef

• Not sure what to suggest besides moving to network cards. You have connectiviity for sure - you can ping both ways once you connect initially?

Andy

• When the two PC's are connected through network cards it is not a problem. That is working.

But it is when you want to dial-in (or using direct cable connection). It is possible to do a ping in both ways.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply