Weird pattern of behaviour

• Sorry about that. I read in something that wasn't there.

I am interested in your experience with 2005, as mine has been exactly the opposite. I did a little experiment this morning. SQL version 9.00.1399.06, database in compat mode 90

I have a table as follows with 5000 rows in (randomly generated data). There's a NC index on the Status column and the cluster is on the date. I ran 2 queries, as detailed below and on the first got an index seek, and the second got an index scan.

CREATE

TABLE dbo.IndexTest(

ID uniqueidentifier NOT NULL DEFAULT (newid()),

CreationDate datetime NOT NULL DEFAULT (getdate()),

Description varchar(250) NOT NULL,

Status varchar(7)  NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT pk_IndexTest PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED (ID ASC)

)

The two test queries were as follows: Total records returned, 833

select Status from IndexTest where status = '9NNQ1'

select Status from IndexTest where status = N'9NNQ1'

According to the exec plan, the first took 22% of the batch and did an index seek on the index on Status, the second took 78% and did an index scan on the index on Status. In the plan you can see the implicit conversion of the Status column in the second. Partial exec plan below.

select Status from IndexTest where status = '9NNQ1'

|--Index Seek(OBJECT: ([Testing].[dbo].[IndexTest].[idx_IndexTest_Status] ) , SEEK: ([Testing].[dbo].[IndexTest].[Status] = [@1] ) ORDERED FORWARD)

select Status from IndexTest where status = N'9NNQ1'

|--Index Scan(OBJECT: ([Testing].[dbo].[IndexTest].[idx_IndexTest_Status] ) , WHERE: (CONVERT_IMPLICIT(nvarchar(50),[Testing].[dbo].[IndexTest].[Status],0 ) =[@1] ) )

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hmm . I'll have to get back to you, I used a production database on a test server. my selects used a sarg of   " where col1 = @variable "

I was testing a secondary index on a company name column returning 4 rows.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply