Websphere to MSSQL via JDBC Good idea?

• Hello,

My employer is considering an architecture with Websphere app servers connecting to SQL Server via JDBC. I am asked to give some advice about that, specifically around performance and scalability. I find a lot of how-to information but not much analysis of how it works.

Can anyone comment with experience about this or maybe point me to white papers?

This will be a high-volume enterprise app with a tablet UI.

Thanks much!

• We have couple of applications that run on this kind of architecture. One of them is a warehouse management application that is based on Hibernate and it has been able to scale well.

Performance vise, the unicode string format that Java uses by default could cause some performance issues because of the implicit conversions that occur when querying against varchar datatypes.

Scalability, has not been an issue yet. There are couple of options like 'connection pool';that can be configured at websphere level that.

If you have a devops team, running load runner tests with multiple usage loads would give you a better idea of the

performance and scalability issues.

An overview of the JDBC driver is available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms378749.aspx

-Hope is a heuristic search :smooooth: ~Hemanth

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply