Web services, sql 2000 - without .net?

• Hello, Not sure if this is possible or not?

Is it possible to set up a web service using SQL 2000 on a server without the .net framework installed?

Any help appreciated greatly!

Cheers

• Should be no problem.

.Net offers a number of wizards for creating Web Services, but there is nothing to keep you from writing the front for a Web Service in ASP. In the end, a Web Service (SOAP) request is just an HTTP request that sends a SOAP-formatted XML document.

You'll have a lot more coding to do than when you would be using the .NET wizards.

• What I've got is a Server without .net installed running SQL.

I need this (If it's possible) to run a webservice pumping out a data set on demand to a client that does have .net.

Anyone know of and online resources that can help me?

Cheers

• Hi there

Yep, its called "SQL Server Web Services", its basically an IIS ISAPI extension + UI that allows you to very quickly create webservers (soap or not) from db stored procs. YOu can also hook in templates, return straight record sets etc. It is quick and easy to use. Search on MSDN for it. I have cutover a range of previously coded webservers in vb and using the soap toolkit with the wsdl gen etc.

One important note - what about security?? take care with this. Managing security is a pain with webservices and must be well thoughtout re the issues.

Only 1 problem with the "db" approach to webservices, is that you cant leaver off any business tier logic embedded in class methods. This can skew your webservices implementation in that your webservices are toolkit driven via code or ISAPI pre-generated drived through the SQL webservices IIS extensions. Just a pain to document and administer nicely.

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster

http://www.chriskempster.com

Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply