We are All Data Companies

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item We are All Data Companies

• I certainly agree that few are software companies but I don't buy that they are data companies either. The same thing was said about every company being an energy company and I bet there have been other similar claims too. Yes, data is important. Essential even. But aren't so many things to so many companies?

Yes, a company may fail if it lost all it's data but the same could be true if it lost all of it's staff, or the market lost complete faith  (Lehmans, perhaps?) in it or complete loss in reputation (Ratners).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Viewing your company as a software company is likely a big mistake. Software is merely a TOOL, and should remain as so. Like the phone system, company vehicles, building etc.
    One needs to worry about product and customers first.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I'd say software developers produce a product, and DBAs are producing a service.  A software developer is similar to a mechanical engineer, while IT is like a mechanic.  Everybody needs some time from an experienced mechanic, but not everybody needs to have mechanics on staff, and most companies never need a mechanical engineer.  Just as the quality of a car defines how often you need the services of a mechanic, so the quality of software defines how often you need IT services.  Just because your company needs a car doesn't make your company a "car company" either.

I think a DBA, is more like a janitor or a lawyer.  It doesn't have to be full-time, but pretty regularly, and the service is more personal to the company and so needs to be more professional and discreet.  But it still doesn't make you a lawyer or cleaning company...

• I don't think the two can be separated at least not right now.  Very very few companies and that number decreases substantially as company size increases are using out of the box services/software without any on going customization and maintenance.  And at least from my perspective I don't care whether what I'm developing is a product my company sells, a website that's customer facing, an internal accounting process or a DB maintenance script it's all the same to me.

At the end of the day whether a company is selling software as product or merely using technology as a tool to reach and manage their customers chances are they have and need some in house software developers.

• jay-h - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:38 AM

Viewing your company as a software company is likely a big mistake. Software is merely a TOOL, and should remain as so. Like the phone system, company vehicles, building etc.
    One needs to worry about product and customers first.

I think part of building software, being a software company, is the focus on product and customers.  Software is seen as a way to compete, to server, to better engage with customers. For some companies, this becomes more critical because they don't want to, or can't find, companies to rely on. For others, they can just be software customers.

There are manufacturers that produce their own tools, because they have a need. However, that's few. Most can purchase their tools from another company.

• aron.vandermeyden - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:31 AM

I'd say software developers produce a product, and DBAs are producing a service.  A software developer is similar to a mechanical engineer, while IT is like a mechanic.  Everybody needs some time from an experienced mechanic, but not everybody needs to have mechanics on staff, and most companies never need a mechanical engineer.  Just as the quality of a car defines how often you need the services of a mechanic, so the quality of software defines how often you need IT services.  Just because your company needs a car doesn't make your company a "car company" either.

I think a DBA, is more like a janitor or a lawyer.  It doesn't have to be full-time, but pretty regularly, and the service is more personal to the company and so needs to be more professional and discreet.  But it still doesn't make you a lawyer or cleaning company...

In your analogy, perhaps. However, if we say that a DBA, or more, a data analyst of some sort is a handyman, or maybe better, a secretary that produces some schedule, then most of us have those. Even in small companies, we handle those things ourselves. I think there is always a need in a company to look at the data, even more so as we move to a higher pace of commerce, more choice, more options. Companies need to understand their customers, or their market or the impact of their actions more.

The need to care about their data. They don't need a DBA. They need to ensure they look at their data.

• ZZartin - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:53 AM

I don't think the two can be separated at least not right now.  Very very few companies and that number decreases substantially as company size increases are using out of the box services/software without any on going customization and maintenance.  And at least from my perspective I don't care whether what I'm developing is a product my company sells, a website that's customer facing, an internal accounting process or a DB maintenance script it's all the same to me.

At the end of the day whether a company is selling software as product or merely using technology as a tool to reach and manage their customers chances are they have and need some in house software developers.

I used to think so, but I walk around town, and observe when I travel. Do most companies need to customize software? Perhaps a little, but do they actually produce software. I'm not sure customizing an ecommerce site from GoDaddy or moving menu items around on a POS count as building software. Many companies can just buy software and hire a (n approved) consultant for a few days or weeks to set things up.

How many restaurants need to build software? Most can buy POS, integrating with OpenTable or some other reservation service, use Excel or a program for inventory and sales analysis. Might use Constant Contact or something else to email customers and market.

Auto mechanics, small retail (1-2 stores), doctors, dentists, opticians, print shops, handymen, construction companies, rental companies, service people, who needs to build software? I'd argue they all need data.

• I couldn't agree more with the editorial, and I have to say your editorials frequently give me a new perspective. I have no idea where you get your inspiration for them from, but it's impressive.

I don't see small organizations (like daycares) trying to build software, or even needing to. But I do see them managing data. Often by hand. Often painfully, using Excel. And the time they spend on such things demonstrates how valuable it is to them, even if they don't think of it as data.

E.g. the daycare software handles invoices & payments pretty well. (Of course, the data still has to be entered.) But when there's a snow day and 50 parents need to be notified quickly, their invoicing system isn't helpful. Their manually maintained list of phone numbers that they paste into a text-messaging service - that does help them. And that, in my mind, is them managing data.

Leonard
    Madison, WI

• phonetictalk - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:47 AM

I couldn't agree more with the editorial, and I have to say your editorials frequently give me a new perspective. I have no idea where you get your inspiration for them from, but it's impressive.

I don't see small organizations (like daycares) trying to build software, or even needing to. But I do see them managing data. Often by hand. Often painfully, using Excel. And the time they spend on such things demonstrates how valuable it is to them, even if they don't think of it as data.

E.g. the daycare software handles invoices & payments pretty well. (Of course, the data still has to be entered.) But when there's a snow day and 50 parents need to be notified quickly, their invoicing system isn't helpful. Their manually maintained list of phone numbers that they paste into a text-messaging service - that does help them. And that, in my mind, is them managing data.

Thanks, those are kind words.

• I agree Steve, not all companies are software companies but are definitely data companies. Wherever that data comes from does not matter and most small companies do not know the value of their data or what their data can do for them. It is up to software developers to help them to get the real value out of there data. Yes, not all companies are software companies.

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I am happy because I choose to be happy.
    I just love my job!!!

• The evolution of a society to an information based economy is similar to that of the industrial revolution. Early in the process (we're maybe at the mid-point now) we produced massive amounts of useless data, essentially waste, creating a drag and impacting the public in a negative way. Also, the lack of effective government oversight early on has allowed digital robber barons to hoard data and exploit consumers privacy for profit, while other companies through simple incompetence have left sensitive data exposed in places where it doesn't belong. We're still a long way from where we need to be.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply