way to check if windows auth user is real?

• I'm playing around with a little script to add new users. It's just for my own practice/learning fun time.

So far it looks like this:

USE [master]

declare @user varchar (100),

@LiveUser bit,

@sqls varchar(500)

set @user = 'somedude'

if exists ( select * from syslogins where name like '%' + @User + '%')

begin

set @LiveUser = 1

end

else

set @LiveUser = 0

if @LiveUser = 0

begin

set @sqls = 'CREATE LOGIN [domain\' + @user + '] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[somedb]'

exec (@Sqls)

print 'User is now in the system'

end

else

print 'User already in the system'

The one problem I am getting is if 'somedude' isn't in AD. Is there anyway using t-sql to check this?

I know you can check the opposite way with sp_validatelogins but wasn't sure if you could check if a potential new user was in AD or not.

I'd like to have a pretty message instead of

Windows NT user or group 'domain\somedude' not found. Check the name again.

• If the user(login ) exists there then it will be pulled out by

select * from syslogins where name like '%' + @User + '%'

Are you not getting the login name from above query ?

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Nope. Have you ever used sp_validatelogins? It tells you what logins you have on your server aren't in your AD. I'm looking for the opposite.

I am not sure there is anything that can do this but I figured, I'd open it up to the public.

• Yin Halen (4/29/2011)

Nope. Have you ever used sp_validatelogins? It tells you what logins you have on your server aren't in your AD. I'm looking for the opposite.

I am not sure there is anything that can do this but I figured, I'd open it up to the public.

I know there's a way to get the list of users in the AD. With that you'll be able to figure out the "missing" ones.

Now the question of auto_insert is better asked to the security team.

• What do you think is the best way to handle that error then? I'm just writing this for my own personal growth so I don't have a security team to view my code.

I want to be able to throw something to the user saying "Sorry buddy, no AD user in there" and then go to the next step rather than getting a SQL error stopping everything.

• Check out Try catch in books online (sql server's help file).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply