Want some tips for paper 70-229

• Hi I am preparing for Sqlserver 70-229 exam.

I am reading slowly with microsoft official book for 70-229 exam.

But when i check braindumb site for papers and question.The questions are really toughf.

Can any one guide me with the books and how to prepare!!

Kindest Regards,

Pavas

Dream The Dream
    Explore the World
    Experince The Exhilaration

• Read the SQL Books Online. Get a machine that you can install SQL Server on and play. Go to microsoft.com as they have some labs that you can work through.

The test is designed for people with experience working with SQL Server.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/default.mspx

Michelle

• Go buy a copy of Inside SQL Server 2000 by Kalen Delaney, and study, study, study.

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• Thanks i will check out the book and the microsoft site also!

Is there any site or link available where they have mentioned the percentage of question asked  from each chapter.

Kindest Regards,

Pavas

Dream The Dream
    Explore the World

• you can also use the transcender application for 70-229.it will help you with the particular sections that you want to understand

Everything you can imagine is real.

• examcram2@informit.com for simulated questions emailed to you. Look good and you learn a lot - however not taken the exam so can't vouch for how close to the level required.

Good luck.

• I want to second the recommedation to use Transcender practice tests for 70-229.  This exam has many questions about SQL syntax and the practice tests will help you recognize the minor differences in the syntax (missing parentheses, commas, quotes, etc.)

Also, the Que book for exam 70-229 has very good review questions at the end of each chapter.  Performing the exercises in the book will help you to understand the material.  Good luck!

• The test is supposed to be tough.  Certification means something to both employers and professionals because it isn't easy to get.

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3

• I third the recommendation for the Transcender exams.  They help by simulating what you will see when you sit the real exam, not only the way the questions are phrased (which is VERY important!) but the feel of the exam.  When you take the exam you figure out your weak areas.  When I got my MCDBA several years back I waited to take the real exam until I could consistently pass the Transcender exam several times in a row and I was able to pass every live exam the first time.  The Transcender exam helped me focus my energies, especially in those areas that I didn't use every day.

HTH

Don

• "BrainDumb" sites.... that's good. Don't know if it was intentional, though.

These threads are depressing as they highlight why the value of certification continues its downward spiral.

I'll tell you the same thing I've said before to other people--if you list a certification on your resume, you d*** well better know your stuff if I interview you, because I'm going to hammer it hard. It's pretty easy to discern the "braindump" certifications from those that really know their stuff.

TroyK

• Thanks for the so many replies,i hope i will not loose the

interest in exam 70-229.

The only key is to study hard and practice a lot.

Thanks Pal

Kindest Regards,

Pavas

Dream The Dream
    Explore the World

• Troy

I would like you to interview me. I am not looking for a job just want to check how cruel you can be. It is easy to stump anyone as we do not do everything in SQL Server on daily bases.

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia

• Hi Amit;

I don't _try_ to be cruel... I just want to verify that a person's actual knowledge and experience matches what they have on the resume (i.e., the whole point of the technical portion of the interview). No one will ever have a problem with me if their resume is accurate.

And you're right... it's easy to stump someone on technology they don't use. If someone grilled me on MDX queries and cubes, I wouldn't fare too well. But then, I don't list those as skills on my resume...

TroyK

• Hi,

I think that before altenative means of learning (which I consider should be a useful adjunct to hands-on experience of the product) are dismissed - remember that studies have shown in education that using techiques like these helps the student to learn more by focusing their study rather than leaving them to try and cover everything. This can be achieved in many ways - but these products are available and have been developed with lots of resources.

Can many people pass the exams without hands on experience of the products?

If you interview people don't you examine their knowledge regardless of whether they posses these certs, if they say they have certain knowledge on their CV - wouldn't you endeavour to verify that?

Certification is applied in many industries so why not in IT - its an indicator though not a cast iron guarantee.

• Troy - you dismay me - I too am going through the SQL books for 229 and trying to muster up the courage to take at least one exam - on the other hand there are LOADS OF STUFF that I can only attribute to "book learning" as I do not use (not have the need to) so many of the features (distributed queries, replication...to name just a few)...

That being said, I also have a memory like a sieve when it comes to remembering stuff that I NEVER/SELDOM use (and colleagues that I have discussed this with admit to having the same problem)...I may get certified today (I wish) - put it on my resume and get interviewed a year down the road by which time I'd have forgotten everything that I learnt but never used....

I prefer the approach of jas4th who says "If you interview people don't you examine their knowledge regardless of whether they posses these certs, if they say they have certain knowledge on their CV - wouldn't you endeavour to verify that?"

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply