Want some help in Recovery

• Hi Team,

There are two scenarios :

Scenario 1: I have a huge database which works on Mon-Sat 9 AM to 7 Pm .. can you help me how processed with the back up plan.

Do i need to take full backup daily? or diff backup ..

Scenario 2: Same Database for 24x7 days ..

NOTE : we are not using any high availability technique or third party tools.

Please help me over this.

• No, you don't need a Full backup every day.

Example:

Full backup once per week

Diff backup: once per day (or more times, it's up to you)

Log backup: every hour (or every half an hour, it's again up to you)

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• Thank you for your quick response..

You are right we have one full backup for a week and diff backup daily..

Now assume that we are taking log backup for every 30 min.. and the database crashed at 10:25 AM..

we will be having the latest log upto 10:00 AM.. then how about remaining 25 min data?

• Hi,

It would be better to schedule FULL, DIFF, and TLog backups for production server databases. As you are not using any not using any high availability technique.

For Point in Time Recovery you will need TLog backups.

I will suggest below Backup Strategy:

FULL – Weekly

DIFF – Daily

TLog – Daily – 1 hour

You can use any suitable backup plan for your server databases, because Any Recovery from backups you need ‘FULL Backup’ or ‘FULL +DIFF’ or ‘FULL Backup – DIFF backup and Tail Log backup’

• Strongly suggest that you use Ola Hallengren's SQL Server Maintenance Solution[/url]

😎

• Perfect! thank you .. I think the tail log backup would help me the remaining 25 min data.

Now can you help me for second scenario where performance matters a lot. Again I think diff backup daily would be a performance issue.

• avi7070 (12/9/2016)

Hi,

It would be better to schedule FULL, DIFF, and TLog backups for production server databases. As you are not using any not using any high availability technique.

For Point in Time Recovery you will need TLog backups.

I will suggest below Backup Strategy:

FULL – Weekly

DIFF – Daily

TLog – Daily – 1 hour

You can use any suitable backup plan for your server databases, because Any Recovery from backups you need ‘FULL Backup’ or ‘FULL +DIFF’ or ‘FULL Backup – DIFF backup and Tail Log backup’

You must take into the account the activities in the databases, if you have lot of activity then you may have to increase the frequency of the backups, the differentials by the end of the week may come very large and an hour could be a too long interval for the Log backups.

😎

• vinnnu88 (12/9/2016)

Thank you for your quick response..

You are right we have one full backup for a week and diff backup daily..

Now assume that we are taking log backup for every 30 min.. and the database crashed at 10:25 AM..

we will be having the latest log upto 10:00 AM.. then how about remaining 25 min data?

You can do a recovery for the remaining 25 minutes of data, but there is no guaranty.

You need a tail log backup.

Read this https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179314.aspx

and this http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/disaster-recovery-101-backing-up-the-tail-of-the-log/

and then maybe you'll manage to return it.

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• Determine your backup strategy by the requirement for the restore (RPO and RTO). How much data is allowed to be lost (= RPO) and how long is data to be allowed unavailable (= RTO). Brent Ozar has some nice articles about it, like The 9 Letters That Get DBAs Fired[/url].

If your RPO is like 15 minutes, you'll need to schedule your LOG backups at least every 15 minutes. If your RTO is 30 minutes, you'll need to be able to restore the FULL, DIFF and all LOGs within that 30 minutes.

Edit: fixed the link

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply